2003 Mountaineer Has a Miss on #1

Old 02-12-04, 12:28 PM
2003 Mountaineer Has a Miss on #1

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer, 6 cyl (I believe it's a 4.0). The other night for no apparent reason the engine started running rough and the engine trouble light came on. When idling the engine is very rough and the exhaust smells unusual. When I rev the engine up the engine smoothens out. Listening to the engine there's a knock sound that is unusual. It actually sounds like the noise is coming from the intake when I used a mechanics stethoscope. I used a scan tool and I had 3 trouble codes. All three related to a missfire on cylinder #1.

Any suggestions as where to start with repairs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-04, 02:04 PM
Take it to the dealer it's under warranty and a free repair.

Old 02-12-04, 02:15 PM
WHY

Why are you messing with a brand new car?Just wondering.If it were me I would be down to the dealer so fast telling them to fix it.After that you can come back here and tell us how they did it and what the problem was.

Old 02-12-04, 03:05 PM
I was kind of hoping that a hose came loose and would save me the time without my vehicle.

I'll let you know what the diagnosis was.

John

Old 02-12-04, 04:00 PM
do a quick inspection

Do a quick inspection with a flashlight check hoses wires etc,I would not spend a lot of time on it trying to fiqure out codes and such.If you see nothing in about 10 min go ASAP to your local dealer.You might even get a loaner if they have to keep it.

Old 02-12-04, 05:01 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
03 mountaineer

when you let it idle does it to go dead on you or just a rough idle...it might could be the idle air control valve..still let the shop figure it out

Old 02-13-04, 07:37 AM
Well as it turned out the #1 cylinder dropped a valve.

Thanks for the input.

John

Old 02-13-04, 04:50 PM
wow

Thanks for that info you would never have thought that on a brand new car.Hope they dont give you any hassle on fixing it they should not.

Old 02-15-04, 07:27 PM
I was suprised as well. At first I actually thought that we had gotten the engine wet during a some recent rains. But I couldn't find anything wet. The local service manager was doing a lot of inquiring as to whether we had been stuck, doing a lot of towing, or if we had a teenaged driver out hot rodding, saying that it could have only happened under those circumstances. Neither on all 3 counts. Thankfully it was under warrabty.

John