Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Motor Mount Removal on '94 Jeep

02-12-04, 08:15 PM   #1  
Motor Mount Removal on '94 Jeep

I have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4 liter engine, 4 WD, auto transmission and about 91,000 miles. I have a lot of vibration when the car is in drive and stopped. I posted this question a few weeks ago and received the advice to check the motor mounts and sure enough, the driver side had a lot of the rubber around the mount cracked or missing.

When I went to change it, three of the four bolts are easy to get to but the 4th is tucked behind the steering shaft and is impossible to get a socket on. When I try to go underneath the shaft with a open end wrench, there is not enough room to get any torque on it to break it loose. Has anyone run into this before? Is it a good idea to remove the bolt on the steering shaft to gain access?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links

02-13-04, 03:59 AM   #2  
I can't remember specifically which bolt your referring to but I believe I accessed all of them from the bottom with and extension and impact swivel. I think there was just a single not at the top which I did the same thing. There may be an access hole to slip an extension through. I remember them being a little tight for space coming out too.

02-22-04, 08:05 PM   #3  
Thanks to who ever suggested changing engine mounts with my Jeep problem of heavy vibration while in idle. After not believing the advice, I tuned the car (plugs, cap, rotor, wires), changed the trans filter, fluid and adjusted the bands and had the injectors cleaned at a shop. After all that failed, I checked the mounts and sure enough, they were in very bad shape.

Also, for a '94 Jeep with a 4 L engine, the only way to get to the driver side mount is to remove the steering shaft and then the job is easy with a 15mm socket.

Again, thanks for the help and now I am a believer.

Search this Thread