alternator

Old 02-13-04, 06:36 PM
ginamay28
Visiting Guest
alternator

I have a 93 Geo Prizm. I thought my battery was dead, so I bought another one. It went dead also. I have tried the autolibrary link and it is currently unavailable. I want to replace the alternator, but I don't even know where it is located or how to replace it. Can anyone help?

Old 02-14-04, 03:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: alternator

Originally posted by ginamay28
I want to replace the alternator, but I don't even know where it is located or how to replace it. Can anyone help?
That's the first hint that it's not a job for you. Take it to the shop before you end up with worst problems.

Old 02-14-04, 03:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question for you

You say you want to replace the alternator have you checked to see if you are getting at least 13.5 DC volts at your battery posts with engine running?.Do you have the correct metric tools to do the job? Do yourself a favor if you want to fix your own car and are not mechanically inclined buy a shop Manuel for your car. On some cars it is an easy job and on others it can be a real pain. The Alt has a fan belt going to it and wires going into the back. do not confuse it with the air conditioning compressor or the power steering pump. Most have a fan looking impeller on the front to draw in cooling air. Also should you find it and decide to do it remove the battery posts if you do not do that you might cause more damage to you or your car. I have a friend that wore a ring and it shorted out on the battery and it got red hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: