Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Smoking after oil change.

02-14-04, 06:01 AM   #1  
Smoking after oil change.

I have a 94 suburban 1500 4wd, 350 auto, 113,000 miles. I had the oil changed @ Wal Mart yesterday and today it has really started smoking. I changed to the high milage Castor oil in the 40wt. The bad thing is I am in bad need of a muffler so I can't tell where the smoke is coming from. Any advice.

Sponsored Links

TX

02-14-04, 06:13 AM   #2  
if the smoke is coming from under the car and not from the exhaust pipe, mabe they spilled some and it is only burnig off. or they could have left the oil fill cap off and its blowing out. my best friend is a mgr. at a wal-mart and he wont take his cars there.

TX

02-14-04, 06:16 AM   #3  
smoke

They might have been a bit messy and spilled some oil on the engine do you see smoke or smell it?40W oil seems kinda thick I hope you dont have cold weather were you are or engine damage could happen

02-14-04, 06:27 AM   #4  
Just checked it is coming out of the tail pipe. What could this mean?

TX

02-14-04, 06:38 AM   #5  
what color

What color is it?

02-14-04, 08:24 AM   #6  
White. Smells like oil?

TX

02-14-04, 08:47 AM   #7  
White

White smoke is water blue smoke is oil. If it is white my question is it cold outside? It is normal for a car to smoke white smoke for a few miles because of condensation in the tail pipe and muffler. drive it around a bit keeping your eye on the temp guage.But first check the water level in your overflow tank and pop the radiator cap and see if you see any oil. Sometimes on chevy on start a puff of blue smoke will happen this is also nothing to worry about the valve guide seals are famous for leaking a little

02-14-04, 09:41 AM   #8  
It doesn't smoke when I start it up. If I let it sit and run in about 2min it will start to smoke. If I drive around it stops, but it will always smoke at idle after 2min. Also my wife just told me she might have put too much oil in it the day before it was changed.
What now?

TX

02-14-04, 10:17 AM   #9  
not an oil issue

Sounds like a water issue not a oil issue.You might have a blown head gasket.I would say if your wife put oil in there it would have been drained when it got changed.I would check to see if you have any coumbustion gases in your water there is a way to check.Also if you look in to the top of your radiatior with cap off do you see bubbles.(never remove cap when hot).If you see bubbles you have a problem with a head gasket.

Search this Thread