Window regulator removal

Old 02-15-04, 05:39 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Window regulator removal

I am trying to remove the interior door trim pannel on a 1988 Chevy S-10 without power windows. All of the manuals that I have read say that I need a specialized window regulator clip removal tool (GM part number J9886) to remove the window crank. All of the parts stores that I have spoken with say that they don't have any idea what I am talking about. I do not want to go to the dealer for this, because they will charge a fortune in labor and probably won't sell the part outside of GM (or if they do, it will cost me more than going to a mechanic). Besides it's sunday, the dealers are all closed, and I need the truck fixed today. Does anybody out there know where I can get this tool on short notice, and if not, does anybody know how I can remove the window crank without one?

Old 02-15-04, 09:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your talking about the tool to remove the window crank, it's very common and you can get it at any automotive discount parts store like AutoZone, PepBoys, Discount etc. It's a flat piece of sheet metal with a "U" cutout at one end to slip under the crank. The part you not going to like is that the dealer is the only one that sells the regulator. If the problem is guide retainers, you might be able to find them. Not much else goes wrong

Old 02-15-04, 09:31 AM
This tool is quite readily available on the aftermarket. Go to the parts store in your area and look around on the tool shelves. You will see it there I assure you. It should say on the package GM door handle tool or something like that. Go to this web page and you will see what it looks like. http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/produ...FErrString%3D3
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 02-15-04, 04:46 PM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Thanks everybody! It turns out that 'Help' distributes the tool that I need. The problem isn't the window, but the door handle. At first I thought the connecting rod to the latch came loose from the handle, but that wasn't the case. Instead there is now too much play in the outside handle for it to open the door normally. Of course there is no way to get at the latch to adjust it. I did discover the 'trick' to opening the door from the outside though. I have to lift up on the handle, then push down, which will open the door. The hinges on the door are shot, which probably hastened the demise of the door handle. It looks like I'll have to get a new door from a junkyard, and hope that it is better.

Old 02-15-04, 05:05 PM
The weight of the door on the striker could be making that much worse. You should be able to replace the pin in the hinge to repair that problem. Very inexpensive but tricky to change.

Old 02-15-04, 07:05 PM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
The previous owner already replaced the hinge pins and bushings. I've heard tell of oversized bushings which might work, but I have never been able to find them. I wish the hinges themselves could be swapped out, but it can't be done easily, so it is cheaper and eaiser to just replace the door. I've already discussed this with my mechanic, and he said that he'd help me replace the door if I can find a good replacement.

Old 02-16-04, 03:57 AM
You have to be careful but I've resolved that issue many times buy putting a block of wood under the end of the door when opened half way and jacking it with a floor jack. Just go a little at a time and see where your at but I've fixed many that way. It pushes in the end of the door just enough to take up the slack.

Old 02-17-04, 04:39 PM
M
Tool?

As far as taking the regulator arm off I have always used a rag just slide it up there and wiggle out the clip.

Old 02-18-04, 05:26 AM
D
Any body shop has a tool to adjust the door in about 2 minutes.It goes in the latch and on the striker to adjust the door without damage.But you should check the hinge pins and bushings first and replace and lube as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: