89 cavalier eng light

Old 02-14-04, 10:14 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
89 cavalier eng light

I have an 89 cavalier with 28000 mi. on it,recently the service eng. soon light comes on after it warms up,it also seems to idle rough ,can any one reccomend how to diagnose &solve this problem? thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 05:01 PM
You have to have the computer scanned for codes. Auto Zone will usually do it for free. Report back with what you find.

Old 02-14-04, 09:42 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
an 89 should be the 'paperclip method', find out which 2 terminals to touch together and you can read the codes yourself.

post those numbers here

Old 02-17-04, 06:31 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
89 cavaliereng. light

Dear Desi 501,thanks a bunch for the tip,my son took his car to Autozone&they read the codes for nothing,found the problemwas an oxygen sensor ,cost of part$22,he had called Pepboys&they charge$80 just to check it.You were a big help to us,being that hes a senior in highschool working parttime bussing tables trying to save money for college.THANKS AGAIN , hes back on the road again,Jim fh.

Old 02-17-04, 03:55 PM
I'm glad you were able to get it scanned but you may be a bit premature with your celebration. Oxygen sensors are usually just reporting a condition caused by another problem. The sensor is usually not to blame. That's why we asked you to post the code# so we could tell you what is happening. That guy at Auto Zone is nothing but a part time cashier and knows nothing about diagnosis. If the light comes back on, let us know what the code is before buying anything.

Old 02-17-04, 05:18 PM
Low miles

from what I can see is you have low miles on a 89 you might want to make a pretty long road trip your engine will like that.You might just want to blow out the carbon as they used to say.Short trips are not good for an engine.You did say 28 thousand right?
Your O2 sensor might just not get cleaned by some good hot exaust flowing over it.

Old 02-18-04, 05:55 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
re 89 cavalier eng light

THANK YOU! BOTH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS&WELL TRY THEM&THE CAR DOES HAVE 28000 MILEAGE.