have to keep adding coolant?

Old 02-15-04, 08:31 AM
SJF
Visiting Guest
have to keep adding coolant?

Hi,
I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a six cylinder automatic. It has an onboard display that keeps chiming 'Coolant Low'. So, I keep adding coolant to the plastic bottle on the fender. There are no drips or leaks I can see. Could the head gasket be going?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-04, 09:23 AM
Head gasket is unlikely unless your have overheated it. You need to have it pressure tested to find the leak before you do overheat it.

Old 02-15-04, 09:57 AM
I assume you keep adding coolant because the level drops in the overflow bottle and gets consumed somewhere.

If you're losing coolant, it's either leaking out, burned out the exhaust, or mixing with the engine oil.

If it's mixing with the engine oil, the oil should have a milkshake color to it.

If it's being burned out the exhaust, you should see white smoke from the exhaust.

Some leaks can be elusive. One good way to test is to pressurize the cooling system about 20 psi with shop air and look for leaks.

If the car has a history or episode of overheating, then the headgasket should be a prime suspect.

Old 02-15-04, 11:21 AM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
re:

I've had the same problem with my 89 Caravan 2.8 4 cyl. I just added Stop Leak by Gunk for cooling system and it solved the problem. It's only 7 bucks a bottle and it saved me from spending hundreds in labour on a new head gasket. Give it a try. One thing though, keep it running with it in for about a week and see what happens. That might be your solution to your problem.

Old 02-15-04, 02:35 PM
Re: re:

Originally posted by supersteve
I've had the same problem with my 89 Caravan 2.8 4 cyl. I just added Stop Leak by Gunk for cooling system and it solved the problem. It's only 7 bucks a bottle and it saved me from spending hundreds in labour on a new head gasket. Give it a try. One thing though, keep it running with it in for about a week and see what happens. That might be your solution to your problem.
VERY BAD ADVICE!

Stop leaks that seal small holes also seal all the small holes in your radiator and heater core. It may slow down a leak but it will also restrict the radiator and heater core. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a can, only chemical companies that would like you to think that while they get rich. A simple pressure test will find the leak and then repair it....case closed.

Although Kestas had the right idea, 20lbs is a bit too much to be putting in there. Don't exceed the pressure printed on your radiator cap and definately not "shop air". Use a manual pressure testor/pump.

Old 02-15-04, 03:41 PM
Have a pressure test and block test performed to find the coolant loss.Check the water pump closely with a mechanics mirror for leakage underneath the pulley.Check the floor on the passenger side for an oily dampness.I probably shouldn't say this but stop leak is added to every car built at the factory to prevent small leaks and needs to be replenished if the cooling system is ever flushed but not in an excessive amount.Stop leak hardens when it hits air so if the cooling system is full and bled properly it will work(to a point)without serious clogging issues.It is not meant to repair leaks big enough to see like drips and will not seal a water pump front seal leak.Cadillac used to put the stop leak part# under the hood so you would put it in after a flush or adding alot of coolant after a repair.I'll wait to see who beats me up first over this.Lol

Old 02-15-04, 05:11 PM
Those Cadillac tabs were the only stop leak that I ever trusted. They did work but I would use any other product.