being shocked

Old 02-15-04, 05:30 PM
harllo
Visiting Guest
being shocked

every time i get out of my car i get shocked when i close the door and some time the shock is kind of a big on anyone tell me whats up and how to prevent thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-04, 09:47 PM
spliff
Visiting Guest
you obveously need to ground your car. from where i dont know but check your main electrical units. look for wires not conected to the chassie. when you find the wire you've fixed your problem.

Old 02-16-04, 01:30 AM
cotton

Wear more cotton clothes you get shocked because you are wearing stuff like nylon and sliding across the seat less synthetic.Also you can install a ground strip that grounds your car to the ground very popular in the 60s.I think they still make them.

Old 02-16-04, 02:52 AM
Do you put your clothes in the dryer?

If you do..... do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets?

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 02-16-04 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-16-04, 04:51 AM
Cobblemaster
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem getting out of my Taurus. If I hold on the metal part of the door before sliding out of the seat, it seems to not give me a poke. Try it and see. What kind of car, not that it matters, just curious if it is same as mine.

Old 02-16-04, 05:43 AM
try this...

...spray your clothes AND your seats with static guard periodically...this will help until the weather breaks

Old 02-16-04, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Haven't heard of this problem in a while. I thought that most tires were compounded to allow static electricity to bleed off. Guess not all. Static guard is a good idea.
Also use caution when gassing up. Don't get back in your car while refilling. You could have a charge when you get out and cause a spark at the nozzle. Not a good thing.

Old 02-16-04, 02:27 PM
another recommendation, when you gas up, make sure that you touch something metal like the gas pump station itself, before you begin filling your car, to get rid of any charge in you so it doesn't arc over to the hose while you are filling and start a gas fire - sounds crazy but it could happen

Old 02-16-04, 03:35 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
just to emphasize that fact...if you've still got a static charge at the pumps its bad...fuel isn't flammable as a liquid...only as a vapor...therefore, you don't need to be standing in a pool of gas to get blown to s**t...if theres vapors in the air, KA BOOM...to put it lightly...

Old 02-16-04, 05:52 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
get out of your vehicle one foot at a time. this helped me on one of my vehicles.

Old 02-16-04, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by goldstar
I thought that most tires were compounded to allow static electricity to bleed off. Guess not all.
No such thing from tires. They don't conduct a ground at all. Rubber is an insulator.

Old 02-17-04, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"No such thing from tires. They don't conduct a ground at all. Rubber is an insulator."

Yes, and no. Tires are not pure rubber but a blend of materials. The makers once added carbon black which allowed static drain. However, the tires had a lot of friction and a short life. In reformulating the tire compound to get today's free rolling, high milage tires, they cut way back on the carbon black.

How about a static strap? Cheap and should last a normal winter season.

Old 02-17-04, 02:48 PM
The problem is not the car, but the methods people use to launder their clothes.

Put your clothes in the dryer without anything, when you take them out their just crackeling with static. You need to use frabric stoftener or the dryer sheets and your zapping days will be over.

Old 02-20-04, 11:33 AM
Grab metal on the car and hold on before and through setting your feet on the ground, you won't feel the shock from the static.

Old 02-20-04, 12:26 PM
Most gas pump explosions are caused by women (90%). Women tend to get back into the car after starting the pump. They also wear clothes that are more likely to cause a static charge.

Hold the handle (metal) when getting out, it discharges the static and doesn't give you the jolt.

Old 02-20-04, 01:28 PM
We had the same question a while back. And like this thread everyone posted some good responses and asked the orginal poster some questions.

So far both orginal posters in both threads never responded after they asked their question........it's kinda hard to help some one when they don't respond.

Old 02-26-04, 07:48 AM
Well just went with a customer in his '03 Corolla that claimed his car had an "electrical short" because every time he got out of the car and touched the metal part of the door he got shocked!

He further when on to say he even got a shock when he touched the door to get into our building! So you tell me whats the problem. I think we better call the electrician in to check for a short in our building!

Old 02-26-04, 07:55 AM
Maybe they are recovering from the shock trama.