Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

overheating problem

NY

02-16-04, 04:25 AM   #1  
overheating problem

I have a 89 chevy barretta, 6cyl. 2.2 or 2.3l engine with a/c and automatic trans. I been having a problem with the engine overheating. I have the temperature gauge on the dash and the needle is usually two marks above the C. I noticed a strange thing going to work today. I drive about 10 miles to work and most of it is driving about 40mph. All the way to work the needle would creep all the way up to hot in about 1 minute ( the engine would smell funny and run a little rough) stay their for a few seconds then suddenly drop all the way back to normal and everything would be fine. then maybe 2 or 3 minutes later the cycle would start again. this was happening even at high speeds. it would go up to the red then suddenly drop down. any suggestions. I haven't checked the coolant level yet but it doesn't seem to me like this would do it. Maybe it would. thanks for the help

Sponsored Links

VA

02-16-04, 05:15 AM   #2  
I have a 89 chevy barretta, 6cyl. 2.2 or 2.3l engine...

it's either a 2.0, 4 cylinder...or a 2.8 v-6

and just cause i'm curious...why in the world haven't you at least checked the coolant?

low coolant will definately cause the guage to fluctuate since the air in the system will be superheated (steam) and everytime it hits the temp sender the guage will indicate very hot. as far as smelling funny....that may be the coolant leaking out or it could be the smell of an overheated engine being used up. at any rate...you either need to do some checking and start with the basics like coolant level or take it to someone and have the cooling system thouroughly checked out. both of those engines will blow head gaskets, esp the 2.0...of course driving in that condition will make (or possibly already has made) it worse

02-16-04, 05:47 AM   #3  
Man, I second carguyinva's statement. Your risking your entire engine by driving that thing. You'll be the first one to blame the car when you ruin your heads (or more).

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-16-04, 09:46 AM   #4  
Fuild check first. If everything is okay, then your thermostat may be shot. I had a similar problem on a Pontiac. The therm would stick closed and cause a temp rise. Then it would open for a bit and cool the engine. Then repeat. They are a simple device and it's amazing how long they last but they do go bad. I think the makers recognize this because they usually mount them for easy replacement.

NY

02-16-04, 09:49 AM   #5  
i checked the fluid and it seemed to be down about 2 quarts so i added antifreeze and water and will see how it is later. the coolant capacity is probably only 5 or 6 quarts i would think. it is the 4 cyl. engine. thanks for the help

02-16-04, 06:55 PM   #6  
You have a leak and you need to stop driving it and find the leak. I see people like this every day who though it was OK to drive 1 more mile, or they supposadly had to be somewhere and had no choice. I've seen that last choice turn out to be a $4000 choice more than once.

Search this Thread