1994 voyager

Old 02-16-04, 05:35 AM
1994 voyager

My 1994 voyager with 3.0 L motor has been diagnosed with a head gasket leak. Prior to this the motor was burning approx. 1 qt. of oil... probably 500 or so miles.

I am planning to have it repaired. The mechanic i am dealing with advised that he would remove the heads and have them taken to a machine shop to be pressure tested and repaired including a valve job. He said the extra compression may cause the rings to leak later on down the road and advised that he could replace the rings and rod bearings at the same time, however he is not going to remove the motor.

I also had the water pump replaced, bearing was making a loud noise, and also the timing belt.

Should I have the rings replaced, an extra expense of almost 400 bucks, including parts, tax. etc. or should I stick with plan A and have the head gaskets replaced on both heads, after the heads are redone, including the valve job.

I plan to keep the van because it is in good condition other than the motor, and would probably avg. less than 10,000 miles a year.

Thanks,
Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-04, 05:43 AM
It's kinda hard to answer the question because you didn't state the mileage of the vehicle. Although what he is saying is basically true, most times only the heads are done without causing any problems. If the van is very high mileage, then you may want to consider that, otherwise just do the heads. Your oil consumption was likely the valve guides which thaty engine is notorious for.

Old 02-16-04, 05:54 AM
I am sorry desi501, the mileage is 105xxx miles. I have changed the oil on a regular basis.
Thanks,
Randy

Old 02-16-04, 06:17 AM
RRCOP,
You have your private messages blocked so I couldn't respond to yours but here is the response...

He is being pretty accurate with his statements. You have to remember that his view of this is to be sure to CYA (cover your ass) so he has to cover all bases. With 100K and good maintanance history, your likely in good shape. Only you know just how hot you got that engine. He is correct in warning you of all possibilities but personally, I would do only the heads. Also make sure you have cured whatever caused the head gasket failure in the first place like radiator, etc.

Old 02-26-04, 07:39 PM
i wanted to thank everyone that helped with my voyager.
i didn't have the ring job...
once he pulled the heads off the mechanic said the cylinders had minimal wear...and they said it looked good for another 100000.
had the valve job and head gaskets replaced and heads redone of course.
got it back today...and so far, knock on wood, it is running great... no smoke of anykind. starts and runs like a new one...
thanks again!!
rrcop

Old 02-27-04, 06:55 PM
You're good to go with the 3.0.

It's proven it's self to be long lived. I know of one person who has over 500,000 miles on original 3.0 with no major work.