Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Ranger

02-16-04, 04:37 PM   #1  
96 Ranger

Hi guys
I have a couple of questions for you. I have a '96 ranger 4cyl. 5-speed w/125K. I hear a rubbing from the rear of the vehicle. At first I thought the emerg. brake was hanging up. After driving I felt the drums and both were cool to the touch. I even pulled the drums and found no evidence of shoes sticking. After being outside on cold Ohio nights I would hear a loud squeeking sound from the rear of the truck.I got under the truck and turned the drive shaft, the squeeking came from the center bearing housing. I sprayed WD-40 and the noise went away. But the rubbing ( it just doesnt sound like a grinding. not that dramatic) is still there. Could this be from the center bearing also? The sound never changes. Going through all 5 gears and using the brakes easy and hard , the sound stays the same, constant. Also I was told that to extend the life of the emerg. brake to park the truck , turn off the motor and put it in 1st or 2nd gear and the truck wont move. Well, I have a driveway that on a slight incline. I did just that and the truck moved back about 6ft. on its own. Is this a sign of a tranny slipping or do I have SAP written on my forehead?
Sorry about the length. Thanks
Bill from Ohio
PS I did pass e-check with Davo's sequence.

Sponsored Links

02-16-04, 06:13 PM   #2  
Sounds like that center hanger bearing may be bad. Have somebody look at it to diagnose it for sure.

Search this Thread