1999 Camaro

Old 02-18-04, 05:14 AM
jaulds
Visiting Guest
1999 Camaro

My 1999 Camaro, V6. shuts off completely. Appears to be electrical. What is it and/or how do I repair it. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-04, 05:33 AM
You are going to have to give a better description of your problem.We need as much info related to the problem as possible.When,where, how often any other symptoms or problems,repair history,aftermarket parts or accesories etc.

Old 02-18-04, 05:41 AM
jaulds
Visiting Guest
1999 camaro

I bought the car used, from a dealer for my son, 3 months ago. This problem just started. It has 59743 miles on it and appears to have been taken care of. He told me the 'trip odometer' went to 0 but I didn't think anything of it. I drove it to the store yesterday, about 2 miles, drove home. Shut it off then started it back up, put it in reverse and it died. The 'trip' went to 0. I put it in park and started it again. It acted like it was going to die a few more times before I got going. I drove a few more miles with no problem. When I got back home I shut it off. I started it back up and the RPM's was close to 3000 at idle. Later I started it again and everything was normal. I would think fuel pump but why would the 'trip' go to 0 if it wasn't electrical.

Old 02-25-04, 02:34 PM
Is the Service Engine Soon light on?

Old 02-25-04, 02:38 PM
jaulds
Visiting Guest
1999 Camaro

No engine light comes on. But I have noticed now, when the problem happens and I first start the car both the speedometer and Tach max out for just a second.

Old 02-25-04, 02:40 PM
Check the connections at the battery and the block and starter.Some connection may be loose or corroded.Also pay close attention to the fusible links at the starter.It sounds as if you are loosing ignition voltage to me.Does the security light flash also when this occurs?

Old 02-25-04, 02:45 PM
jaulds
Visiting Guest
1999 Camaro

Thanks Davo, I hope that's all it is. No lights stay on or flash. I just bought the car for my son and the Dealer cleaned the engine, top side only of course. I'll check this out. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-25-04, 04:16 PM
That problem could be a little more involved than that. The security system on that car passes through the dash cluster and they have a lot of problems with the dashes. You may need the dealer to take a look at that one since thats a pretty sophisticated system. I'm not saying that's the problem but it's a possibility.