89 celeb. motor mounts

Old 02-18-04, 11:02 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
89 celeb. motor mounts

I have an 89 celebrity with a2.8 liter eng.that needs the 2 tranny mounts& the one they call the dogbone for state inspection.Ican change the dogbone, but how difficult is it to change the tranny mounts& do i need special equipment? ONE LAST QUESTION WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE FOR SOME ONE TO CHARGE TO DO ALL THE WORK?THANKS JIM FH!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-04, 11:17 AM
not all that bad...

...you'll need a floor jack and some blocks of wood to hold the tranny up while you unbolt the mounts (one at a time) and replace them. they just bolt on to the trans housing and the cradle (frame). the thing here is whether you have a overdrive trans or a 3 speed...the OD unit is a little tighter and therefore takes a little longer. GM lists the rear mount as discontinued....you should be able to get them at just about any parts store...my guess would be $25 - $50 for each mount and somewhere between 2 and 4 hours labor...depending on which trans you have. this is a pretty good DIY job...i would think you could save some bucks here...the fasteners are metric, btw...good luck!

Old 02-19-04, 10:53 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
89 celeb mtr mount replacement

thanks for your advice,but i still wondered ,what amount of$ would be a fair price for a mechanic to do the job?

Old 02-19-04, 11:12 AM
just about impossible to tell, jim...

...you have a fair idea of what is involved labor wise...and you could call around and ask a few places. what you SHOULD find is that a reputable place is going to put a reasonable markup on parts (again, call the places that they buy their parts from) and you'll need to know what the labor rate is for that shop (i'm sure they vary in your area as they do here) and how many hours they'll do it for...pretty much the same thing I said in my last post...i guess you had to read between the lines a bit tho

Old 02-21-04, 06:53 AM
jimfh
Visiting Guest
motor mounts location?

Icant seem to locate the motor mounts on the transmission,ihave the parts ,but dont see anything that looks similar. Can you give me a description of the locations?

Old 02-23-04, 04:14 AM
on either side of the trans...

...keep in mind that it's a transverse mounted drivetrain so one mount is right in front on the drivers side and the other straight behind it...on the other side of the trans. they are at the bottom, so you'll have to look from under and in front...and it sits on top of the cradle (looks like a crossmember)