Aoutomotive Electric

Old 02-19-04, 08:14 AM
RMZK1234
Visiting Guest
Question Aoutomotive Electric

MY TRUCK KEEPS DRAINING BATTERIS AND DYING ON ME WHILE I AM DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD. THEN IT WILL NOT START AGAIN. I HAVE A NEW ALTERNATOR STARTER SOLENOID POS. BATT CABLE & TERMINAL CAP ROTOR IGNITION COIL AND MODULE. AND IT IS DOING IT AGAIN. WHAT IS WRONG?

Old 02-19-04, 10:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
about two thirds...

...of that stuff has nothing to do with the starting/charging system.

now...just because you have a new alternator, doesn't mean it's working...what you really need to do is take it to a COMPETENT technician who can properly evaluate the battery, starting and charging systems. Autozone is NOT the place to get a diagnosis, so don't go there...take it to someone that has the correct equipment to test those systems and give you advice. or...if you have a DVOM, let us know and we'll guide you thru the process of eliminating the possibilities

Old 02-19-04, 05:40 PM
Knowing the year/make/model will help.. I know the some of the older chevys used fusable link wire that was routed down around the started..They were famous for getting hot (it's close to the exhaust pipe) and melting..The alternator would be good, battery good, but the 2 not connected, electrically... Just a thought...

Old 02-20-04, 06:29 AM
RMZK1234
Visiting Guest
AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRIC

MY TRUCK IS AN 84 F-150 WITH A 302

CARGUYINVA--I HAVE HAD THE ALTERNATOR CHECKED AT A LOCAL SHOP AND THEY SAID IT IS GOOD.

MSARGENT--I NEED IT FIXED ASAP BECAUSE I CAN'T GET BACK AND FORTH TO WORK

Old 02-22-04, 05:10 AM
Check the wires and fusable links near the starter soleniod, and check the battery cables. Some of the older fords, the posative cable clamp would split on the "underside" of the cable clamp, causing all sorts of strange problem.

Old 02-23-04, 04:11 AM
any competent tech...

...should be able to diagnose a battery drain situation. it's either your charging system not functioning correctly or there is something on your vehicle that is draining the battery overnight. don't take it to someone and tell them to check the alternator, rather...tell them what the problem is and let them sort it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: