transmission leak

Old 02-19-04, 09:15 AM
billp
Visiting Guest
Question transmission leak

I have a 79'chevy 4x4 350 auto trans. I have checked trans lines and changed the modulator. I drove low speed 2 miles and no leaks. Driving at 55mph I have fluid pouring out whats the problem? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-04, 09:33 AM
you'll have to figure it out...

...by looking at it. there are so many potential leak points that it'd be impossible to pinpoint. the easiets thing is to clean it and then with compressed air, coat it with powder (talcum, powdered dish detergent, whatever)...then drive it and see where it gets wet first. the other thing is that they make dye that you can pour into the trans oil and look at with a blacklight (high intensity)...this is the quickest and best way because it doesn't have to be cleaned first. it may just be easier and ess hassle to take it to someone and have it done that way.

Old 02-19-04, 06:43 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you might be able to put it up on jack stands, carefully, with the front wheels blocked securely in front and back, and lay next to the truck(out of line of the tires, in case it fell, it would drive NEXT to you)

then with the least amount of throttle possible, manually upshift through the gears until you see the large leak. get a bright flashlight, and have a responsible person 'driving' the truck. it is possible to have a pressure port leaking, or even a crack in the case that will only leak in third gear.

do this with common sense, if it seems unsafe, it probably is.

Old 02-20-04, 05:47 PM
If it's coming out of the vent on top of the trans it's overfull or the pump is bad.Usually occurs at higher speeds.I would like to hear where it comes out of myself.

Old 03-02-04, 01:30 PM
billp
Visiting Guest
Angry TRANSMISSION LEAK

Well I took my truck to a shop and they replaced the seal between the transfer case and transmission and also found a crack in the transfer case. Don't know if you can patch a case.
Bill