Dodge Ram 5.2 or 3.9 which to buy

Old 02-19-04, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram 5.2 or 3.9 which to buy

Yes I have got a decision to make and I have been helped out here alot over the last year and thought I could get some help with this. I am going to buy a used truck it is a Dodge Ram 1500. My question I am trying to make up my mind between 2 different ones. The first one is a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a (318) 5.2 A/T with 92,000 on it. The second is a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 3.9 (V-6) A/T with 72,000 on it. The 98 with the V-6 and less miles is about $300 less. I don't tow anything or drive long distances, I just drive around town and average about 6000 miles a year, so I was thinking the V-6 would be better on gas, but I have had a 318 before and it was great. So if anyone can help me how good are the 3.9 engines and which truck should I buy? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-04, 09:23 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
everyone in the world will have a different opinion, i'll offer mine.

i would drive the v8---passing power when needed, able to haul stuff when needed, better resale, perhaps?

the v6 idles rough, by design(annoying). the timing chain rattles after a few miles, (the new tensioner fixes that) and seems to be down on power for a full size truck. if you haul heavy loads with this, you can wear out the engine after a while.

the two engines are identical, engineers chopped off two cylinders from the v8 and called it a v6. they made the crankshaft stronger by having a common journal for each pair of cylinders, but it now has uneven firing pulses----causing the choppy idle(and tearing up the timing chain).

keep in mind i've seen engines ruined in 25,000 miles----no maintenance. that's why mileage has NO bearing on what i buy, maintenance history does.

if either truck has a maintenance log book, kept by the owner, i wouldn't be afraid to buy either. i would drive a v6, i just wouldn't be happy.

my 1/2 cents

Old 02-20-04, 05:55 PM
I'd buy the Chevy,oops that wasn't a choice.Well I'd buy the 5.2 v-8 hands down I don't think you will really save much gas with the 6.The little engine has to work a little harder than the 8.Driving habits will affect the mileage more as will stat eof tune or lack there of.Good Luck in your decision.

Old 02-20-04, 10:23 PM
I have to agree with the other gentlemen...Opt for the v-8. Do you know the usage history of the 2 trucks? If they were used as "real trucks" then the v-6 is most likely a lot more worn out than the v-8... my cent...

Old 02-20-04, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed. The v8 will probably be more valuable when time to get rid of it, and it should be close in economy. It's nice to have the power when you want/need it too. The 6 does have a rougher idle, but not terribly noticeable except when the a/c is on at idle.

Old 02-20-04, 11:27 PM
ilketile
Visiting Guest
i like the v8 for the power but if your not hauling a lot that dosent matter. the thing i see is with the 95 and 96 dodge 1500 the transmission arent worth a hoot. id check and see if any difference there myself

Old 04-11-04, 07:11 PM
Charlestkd
Visiting Guest
I have a small courier business and my first 2500 van had a 6 cylinder and I got 325,000 miles before I donated it to the VA.
Yeah, the timing chain rattles but I never had a problem with the motor or transmission. I change the oil every 3 to 4,000 miles but put in 5 quarts as opposed to 4. As far as the resale value goes I always donate my used vans but I would imagine with the price of gas what it is the 8 cylinders are not much in demand. I use the Bosch +4 platinum tipped plugs. I get 16.5 mpg and do not lack for power.