Wheel getting very Hot

Old 02-20-04, 08:36 AM
Cool Wheel getting very Hot

I have a 94 Sable. I replaced the rear breaks and one calipper a while back. The wheel on the side where the calipper was replaced gets so hot after driving the car. It got so hot that it melted the Hub-Cap. Any suggestions.
just a note: I Blead the line and made sure that the sliding pins are well greased.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-04, 11:12 AM
Problem is either bearings or brakes. If you've melted a hubcap I would be careful of using that rotor and/or wheel any longer, and you can be assured that you've boiled your bearing grease and brake fluid.

Old 02-20-04, 04:15 PM
Maybe your problem wasn't a caliper to start with. You have definately done some more damage now that needs to be taken care of. A new rotor and repack the wheel bearings for sure, probably pads too. Does that wheel have an independent rubber hose supplying that caliper? If so, I would replace the hose. That could very likely be the cause. Also check your hand brake cable to be sure it is releasing all the way by itself. Even try running it with the cable disconnected from the caliper. Be sure that lever is pulled all the way against the stop.

Old 02-20-04, 11:54 PM
ilketile
Visiting Guest
sounds like the rubber break hose to me. you can check it by jacking up car. pump break several times and see if the breaks stay tight on that side. if so loosen bleeder valve and if there is pressure on line that releases when you do that then it probally the hose. what happens is they get trash in them and it lets fluid come into calipber but when it tries to return trash block it. if wheel bearing it will probally be making a winning or roaring noise

Old 02-23-04, 10:26 AM
Thanks a lot guys. This weekend I replaced the Bearings assembly, the Calipper and the pads. well, I will find out, and let you know.
Thanks again

Old 02-23-04, 02:37 PM
Doesn't sound like you've resolved the cause issue yet. You really shoudn't be changing only one caliper anyway. That should always be done in pairs. If you get it real hot again, you'll ruin all the new parts you just put on.