Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vehicle stalls periodically at stop signs

Visiting Guest

02-20-04, 11:41 AM   #1  
Rottmom51496
Vehicle stalls periodically at stop signs

I have a 1994 Pontiac TranSport. 135,000 miles. Recently it has started periodically stalling on me at stoplights/signs. Usually happens after I've been driving around in stop and go traffic and the engine is hot. Mechanic friend of mine has replaced the ignition sensor and the oxygen sensor thinking that those might have been the problem. We've also installed new spark plugs and spark plug wires. Another friend has suggested that maybe I have a clogged fuel filter. I don't know when the filter was last changed--I bought it used from a dealer about 2 years ago. I haven't changed the fuel filter since I bought it.

The wierd thing is that it generally happens when I'm stopping on a downhill slope. I can almost tell as soon as I apply the brakes that it's going to die on me. I can start it back up again with no problem, but usually have to throw it in "2" to take off from the light. After I'm on the road, I can shift it to "D" and I'm okay until I hit another light.

So...is a new fuel filter the next step???

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

WI

02-20-04, 12:38 PM   #2  
Sounds like the vaccum idle switch that allows the transmittion to sit in gear at the stop sign.
This is a vaccum line that goes from the intake to the transmision. Maybe it has a leak in the hose or the vaccuum part is clogged.
It's worth a check.

02-20-04, 01:21 PM   #3  
I know I'm not Mr Goodwrench but it sounds like a torque convertor lock-up problem.

You say you can tell when it's going to happen. Also the taking off in 2 leads me to believe it's a TCC problem. Does it feel like a stick in high gear that you forgot to put the clutch in?

dogman1953,

Never herd of the part you are describing... are you maybe talking about the vacuum modulator?

WI

02-23-04, 05:25 AM   #4  
That is correct. The vaccuum modulator. I guess this only applies to automatic transmissions.

VA

02-23-04, 05:53 AM   #5  
vacuum modulator is not the problem...

...in fact...it doesn't have one. TCC solenoids are notorious for going bad on GM vehicles and TM is correct...feels exactly like you forgot to push the clucth pedal in when coming to a stop on a manual vehicle. have someone verify it WITH you...and go from there.

Search this Thread