Wont kick over

Old 02-21-04, 05:09 AM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
Wont kick over

I have a 95 dodge full size van. The motor cranks when i turn the ignition key but just wont kick over. I replaced the Plugs, Wires, Distributer Cap and Rotor. I also took the starter off and had it checked out. Motor still wont turn over. Could i have a bad ignition switch or bad starter relay? or something else? If you can help, please let me know.
Thanks.............Alex

Old 02-21-04, 05:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do you mean the starter cranks but the engine won't turn over?
Or the engine turns over but won't "catch" and run?

Old 02-21-04, 04:36 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
turning

engine is turning and cranking but just wont start, like it has no spark

Old 02-21-04, 04:39 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does it have spark? Is it getting gas?

Old 02-21-04, 04:40 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
Gas

I poured a little gas in the carb. and it turned over then died out.
Where do i go from here? Fuel Pump? Fuel Filter? or any other suggestions?
Thanks................Alex

Old 02-21-04, 04:50 PM
You have to be sure that you are getting fuel and spark!
Plus correct terminology will help us help you. Cranking means that the engine will spin over with the starter, which you confirmed that it did and you wasted your time getting the starter checked if this is the case. Starting is the next step which means that you can let your hand off of the key and the engine runs under its own power. Now that we have the grammer lesson out of the way, kindly re-explain your problem. We are here to help. We just need to understand what kind of help you need.
If it is a 95 model then it likely doesnt have an actual carburetor, but a throttle body. Crank it over and whiledoing so look inside the throttle body to see if you are getting fuel. Take a spark plug off and either remove a plug or use an old plug and stick it in the wire and lay it on something metallic where you can see if spark crosses the gap while you are cranking. Let us know what you come up with.
Billy

Old 02-21-04, 05:56 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
Throttle Body

Have Spark but no Fuel.

Old 02-21-04, 06:34 PM
Can you hear the fule pump running when you turn the key on for the first couple seconds? Do you know if you are getting injector pulse? Take a mallet or the side of your hand and pound on the bottom of the fuel tank while someone is trying to start it and see if you hear the pump or it is trying to start. Next you could take the fuel line loose from the throttle body and see if you are getting fuel there. Beyond this you will have to be sure you are getting power to the fuel pump.
hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: