Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

reving problem

Visiting Guest

02-20-04, 06:50 PM   #1  
kag998
reving problem

My son has a 1999 Ford Taurus that has a problem. It idles fine but when driving and you hit about 25 to 30 mph the engine sounds like it can't get into the next gear. It's an automatic. It sounds like it gets louder and louder until you hit about 55 mph then it tapers off somewhat. I took it to Autozone to have the hook up their diagnostic tool and they said it is something in the EGR (I believe it was) system.... Any ideas? He would like to fix it himself if it isn't too involved. He's not a mechanic but would like to save money if possible. Recently the heater core has been replaced and there was a small leak in the hose system leading to the radiator. It was leaking anti freeze and overheating.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-20-04, 10:56 PM   #2  
Have you checked the transmission fluid? Sounds like it's too late anyway. Taurus and bad transmission goes hand in hand. Look at the transmission fluid. Is it brown? Smell bitter? Leave black marks on the rag when you wipe the fluid off the dipstick?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-21-04, 03:52 AM   #3  
Well, that EGR code is not related to this symptom. You make no mention of mileage. Taking a look at a plugged Catilytic converter might be a good idea. A plugged fuel filter is a possibility but i would expect that to set a lean code.

Visiting Guest

02-21-04, 10:10 AM   #4  
kag998
reving problem

I believe it has just over 70,000 miles. The code was P0401. I was told maybe a hose leak or the EGR value.... But he also said the symptoms didn't have anything to do with the code. I don't think it's the transmission but I could be wrong. It never slips or has a problem going into gears when shifting into reverse or drive, etc. Just when driving above 25 mph. It sounds a little like a plane trying to take off. Could it be the transmission??? It did have an anti freeze leak as I mentioned prior to this problem. And we can still smell anti freeze. If there is a still small leak somewhere would that cause this type of problem??? I really appreciate your help. Karen

02-21-04, 02:45 PM   #5  
No, it's not the EGR No, it's not the coolant leak. It still could be the transmission. If it goes into overdrive which means the torque converter is locked and it doesn't release when coming to a stop, it would give those symptoms. It's a pretty common problem. The car will feel like the engine is trying to keep you moving while your trying to use the brakes. Something like coming to a stop with a stick shift without stepping on the clutch.

Visiting Guest

02-21-04, 07:20 PM   #6  
kag998
Reving problem

No, it doesn't do that. It's fine when you go to step on the brakes. It only happens when driving over 25mph. It sounds like it's not going from one gear into another. The reving gets louder and louder then steadies off but never sounds like it passed through into the next gear. So I guess that is transmission?? Would it be the transmission with no slipping or problems in reverse? I myself have had transmissions go bad and never like this. Guess we just need to take it in for a diagnostic eval. Thanks for your help Desi.
Karen

02-22-04, 02:42 AM   #7  
Re: Reving problem

Originally posted by kag998
The reving gets louder and louder then steadies off but never sounds like it passed through into the next gear.
That definately sounds like it is slipping. It may even be skipping a gear.

Search this Thread