"90 corsica headlights

Old 02-21-04, 01:07 AM
"90 corsica headlights

i have a 1990 corsica, the headlights got stuck on high and now they have gone out all together. i think the problem is in the turn indicator. but i am looking for a way to fix it or to bypass the switch. any help will be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 03:56 AM
I would suspect the dimmer switch rather than the turn signal. You may think that because it is controlled by that lever. I think you will find the switch mounted on the column a few inches down operated by a push rod.

Old 02-21-04, 06:55 PM
thanks so much for your help now when i carry the car in to have it fixed i can tell the guy what is wrong once again thanks so much

Old 02-23-04, 05:01 AM
wait a minute...

...just because Desi offered his insight and benefit of his vast experience, doesn't mean that's definately what's wrong. when you take it in, tell the service consultant exactly what's going on with the lights....don't tell them you want a dimmer switch. granted...I agree with desi, it's the MOST LIKELY thing in the circuit...but if you tell someone that and they just replace it AND it's not fixed...then you have a problem. you're not going to want to pay for parts that didn't fix your car and the service person is going to say "i did what you asked for"

Old 02-23-04, 07:36 PM
thank you, i did bye the part today and my brother-in-law changed it. the plug had melted to the dimmer switch. so now the lights work but only on low beam but not at all on high beam any suggestions??? i can use any help at all. thanks so much. we are trying to get it done ourselves because money is so short my husband has had surgery on his ankle to fuse the bones together so money is short and he isn't able to do it, so any thing you can help me with will help alot!!! Robbie Jo

Old 02-24-04, 04:49 AM
still a bad...

...connection at the dimmer switch...if the connector was melted, it should probably be replaced. double check the bulbs tho...two bad bulbs is unlikely...but possible

Old 02-24-04, 03:13 PM
we changed the plug and the dimmer switch. now just the low beams comes on the indercator light for the high beam doesn't even come on on the dash and it was working sunday night. but since we put the new parts in they don't work. but at least the low beams work and they don't go off while I am driving. Robbie Jo

Old 02-24-04, 09:01 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
are you sure the switch itself is adjusted right, it might need to be pushed up a 'hair' higher so the rod has enough travel to activate the switch. this is if you have low beams all the time.

can you hear the switch click, and the low beams go off---but no high beams, then it's not likely the adjustment. i would make sure that new connector is soldered in good, no loose wires.

Old 02-25-04, 04:28 AM
I would expect Mike is right about your current problem.

I should have stated in my original suggestion that my advice was only a "likely possibility". In this business we always confirm a problem somehow, no matter how obvious a diagnosis seems, we always confirm the problem by a second method before completely condemning it, whether it be visual or electrical tests. I just assumed the poster would do that.......my bad