Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Merc Sable (caliper replacement)

Visiting Guest

02-21-04, 12:08 PM   #1  
HeroMouse
97 Merc Sable (caliper replacement)

When replacing my brake pads, I found they wore poorly due to caliper malfunction.

I've replaced calipers before but never on an ABS system.
Are there additional steps I need to take or additional things to watch out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

02-21-04, 02:39 PM   #2  
Installation is exactly the same. Try to change hose quickly enough so Master cylinder doesn't go dry. You could pinch off the hose but that is not real good for the hose. That will make bleeding much easier.

Visiting Guest

02-27-04, 12:53 PM   #3  
HeroMouse
Alright I've run into a problem, I am having trouble finding a wrench/socket or otherwise that fits the bolt connecting the soft brake line to the caliper.
Does anyone know if there is a specialized "Ford" tool that I need to use to remove this.
(the bolt fits closest to 3/8", but that's too small, and 7/16" is too big.)

Also, I've been getting mixed messages as to there being a difference between bleeding abs, and non-ABS brake lines.

02-27-04, 01:59 PM   #4  
It's most likely a 10mm bolt head.Bleeding your brakes will be the same as if it was non abs as long as the master cylinder doesn't get emptyso keep it full while bleeding.

Visiting Guest

02-27-04, 04:56 PM   #5  
HeroMouse
Thanks so much!
I'll be back with an update.

Search this Thread