vehicle wobbling

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-04, 01:43 AM
juneski
Visiting Guest
vehicle wobbling

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, v-8 4.6. When driving car seems to pull to the right and wobbles making the steering wheel wobble slightly. Was thinking about rotating the tires to solve problem or is it something else.?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 02:47 AM
The problem IS a tire but rotating will only move the problem. One of the front tires has a steel belt separation. If you lift the car and spin the tire, the deformation will be obvious. Get it off the truck before it blows.

Old 02-23-04, 05:29 AM
Odds are that it is the tire, but there are other problems that can cause your symptoms.
I would rotate the tires first to see if the front end wobble goes away. If so, you have a tire and/or wheel problem. Fix it at once.
If your problem does not go away after the rotation, it could be anything from badly warped brake rotor, loose wheel bearings to any number of front end components. Any of these problems require prompt attention.
Let us know what you find.

Old 02-23-04, 05:49 AM
LOOK at it first...

...if the tire is already damaged, rotating is a waste of time. also...if the tire is bad enough it may have steel wires sticking out of it and you may get stuck while trying to rotate. do a good visual inspection first...

Old 02-23-04, 02:55 PM
As I said before, just find the bad tire and remove it. It's very easy to spot when spinning by hand and very dangerous to drive on. Basically nothing else will give you the symptoms you describe.

Old 02-23-04, 04:30 PM
Options to check,
tires, tire balance
wheel bearings
ball joints
tie rod ends
steering rack
alignment

All these things can cause a vehicle to wobble and shimmy.
I know from experience.
Be safe, have everything checked.

Old 02-23-04, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pwvognet
Options to check,
tires, tire balance
wheel bearings
ball joints
tie rod ends
steering rack
alignment

I know from experience.
Experience huh?
There is only one thing that will cause a low speed wobble AND a pull.............a bad tire
Simply jack it up and look

Old 02-24-04, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Desi501

I think you should read the post.
Low speed was never mentioned. And yes, experience.
I've worked on several cars with the same problem, and found loose bearings or steering rack problems. I'm not leaving out tires, but there are other things that cause the same problems.

Experience huh?
There is only one thing that will cause a low speed wobble AND a pull.............a bad tire
Simply jack it up and look

Old 02-24-04, 12:52 PM
Options to check,
tires, tire balance
wheel bearings
ball joints
tie rod ends
steering rack
alignment

I know from experience.
WHEEL BEARINGS-If bearings were ever gone to the point to cause a wobble, the car's brake pedal would go to the floor (didn't mention that)

BALL JOINTS- Will not "wobble slightly" although could shake uncontrolably if very worn and triggered by the road surface or wheel balance

TIE ROD ENDS-See ball joints

STEERING RACK- Will not wobble while underway although could "kick" or "pump" in tight turns

ALIGNMENT- Will not cause wobble in any way

I've been in the retail tire business for the past 22 years so I've seen thousands of ride disturbace problems and if this poster is describing it accurately, it is a tire problem. Since the original poster has dropped out, I guess it a moot point.

Old 02-24-04, 01:30 PM
Glad I don't live in fla.
Everyone wants to fix tires

Old 02-24-04, 02:49 PM
Argueing of who is right or wrong doesn't work for me or anyone that needs help.All answers to a problem must be considered by the person doing the asking.If someone tells someone to do something that may be unsafe fine warn them.Don't critisize each other in the forum please.If you need to debate do so in private.Email or pm.

Old 02-24-04, 03:31 PM
im stumped

WHEEL BEARINGS-If bearings were ever gone to the point to cause a wobble, the car's brake pedal would go to the floor (didn't mention that)

Why would it effect the brakes?just trying to get more educated.

Old 02-24-04, 03:43 PM
Re: im stumped

Originally posted by michael van

Why would it effect the brakes?just trying to get more educated.
Because the rotor movement retracts the piston and require more than one stroke to seat pads again.

Old 02-24-04, 03:55 PM
OK

Ok thats what I was wondering I am a little smarter now.Thanks

Old 02-24-04, 07:34 PM
He may be a tireman, but not brakes

Old 02-24-04, 10:27 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
desi---for the sake of a discussion, could a very worn tie-rod end cause the wheel to shimmy(yes) and would it also make the steering wheel point off center(which more than one customer has complained as a 'pulling' condition)(yes). the person never mentioned the speed at which the wobble occurs.

juneski--big vehicles, heavy vehicles, 4X4 vehicles need to have their tires rotated every 6-7,000 miles(every other oil change), if the front tires are worn like a circular saw's blade, they are way passed rotating, and will cause what you describe. i see this quite often on other big, heavy, 4x4 vehicles---40,000 miles and never been rotated.

you need to check this thing before it gets any more dangerous.

PW---very bad wheel bearings will cause a low pedal on disc brakes everytime, especially rear wheel drive.

Old 02-25-04, 02:49 AM
He may be a tireman, but not brakes
For the sake of ending this thread, I'm not even going to give this fool a response.

Mike
A "wobble" by definition would have to be low speed steering wheel movement due to the fact that as speed increased, it would develop more into something characterized as a vibration or shimmy. In order to cause a steering wheel to move it would require tight linkage and a driving force from below as a tire or power steering issue. Since power steering problems usually don't show up when not manuevering, that only leaves tires. A loose tie rod would cause more of a rattle or wander. The driver wouldn't realize a wobble because the wheel is moving but the steering wheel wouldn't be. That would translate into more noise than movement. There's really no point in this discussion until the original poster does some checking. For Davo's sake I'm going to quit this before I lose it with this fool. (not you mike)

Last edited by Desi501; 02-25-04 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 04:37 AM
The post is now closed.So yell at Davo and call me names now.

Closed Thread