96 Pathfinder Hard On Gas

Old 02-23-04, 12:23 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
96 Pathfinder Hard On Gas

I own a 96 nissan pathfinder which for the last year is very hard on gas.I`ve brought it to the garage to be checked and nothing was found. Here is acouple of things that was verified.
-road test with computer scan-neg
-computer scan-neg
-complete tune up was done-neg
-transmission oil change-neg
-tranfer case oil verify-still neg
-wheel bearings -neg
It been about 6 times to the garage and comes back with no improvment,I lose about 70 to 80 miles on a full tank for the same milleage used.The SUV has about 170,00km and does not burned or leak any oil.
Please any comments would be appreciated because I do a lot of milleage and it is very costly(beside that the SUV was great)
THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 12:29 PM
need more info...

...what exactly does this mean?

It been about 6 times to the garage and comes back with no improvment,I lose about 70 to 80 miles on a full tank for the same milleage used

i don't get what you are trying to say here...perhaps you could give us your exact fuel mileage and what you think it should get

Old 02-23-04, 01:17 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
PATHFINDER HARD ON GAS

It means that the pathfinder was brought to the garage and inspected by a mechanic 5 or 6 times with no result why it has a heavy gas consuming.Also it means that for the same milleage travelled I`m using more gas than last year.I did not calculate how many mile to gallon I`m using

Old 02-23-04, 01:52 PM
perhaps...

...you need a new technician. something has obviously changed and if it's no the vehicle, then it must be the driver. the driver has the most influence on fuel mileage.

tell us...did you drive exactly the same distances on the same days in the same temps? of course you didn't...examine the variables here and you'll see that not only does the vehicle play a role, but so do you and the environment. don't tell us you are using more gas in the aggregate than last year and expect a bunch of people to solve your issue online...give us real information...the kind we deal with on a daily basis, and we'll TRY to help you sort it out. start calculating your fuel mileage like everyone else and use that for comparison...not your yearly usage

Old 02-23-04, 02:22 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
If your too frustrated to answer the question then don`t and let somebody else answer,and for why I didnot send milleage to gallon is because I did not have my paper with me while sending this email.I think your missing the point of the question,neither did I say that I`m beating the **** out of the SUV nor that I`m driving it like a sunday driver.So for you to understand my question is ,I am driving the same way as before,I did take seasonal temperature change in account,when I compare i do not compare on a yearly average and I don`t know while the hell I`m telling you all this because if i``s too complicated to answer, then just say so.

Old 02-23-04, 02:56 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
Also if I was a mechanic ,Iwould ask my question in mechanics terminology ,but if I was a mechanic I would not ask you the question. And by the way I am a interprovincial electricien and electronics technologist, if you were to ask me a trade related question I sure would not make a person feel like you did to me.(it is called being professionnal)
THANK YOU

Old 02-23-04, 03:58 PM
The price of gas has risen sharply in the last year and is going to to get worse.Sometimes the distance travelled for the money changes and gives a false impression the gas mileage has dropped.Another possible cause is you may now be using some type of reformulated gas which drops mileage but saves on pollution.My state(Pa)uses it but only in the summer.Check for a leaking fuel pressure regulator.Try a different brand of gas it may make a difference.You will have to track your mileage to compare.

Old 02-23-04, 05:44 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
I did keek track of the milleage and I repeat I am doing less milleage per gallon.I have 2 vehicule and always fill up at the same gas station and my other vehicule does not consumme more gas.So eliminate where and what kind of gas or what season it is.Thank you

Old 02-23-04, 05:58 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by campbellguy
If your too frustrated to answer the question then don`t

it sure sounds like someone's frustrated and it's not the 'car guy in VA'.

campbell:
an excellent thing you can do is obtain a factory service manual, and find the section on poor fuel economy, it will have a complete section on things to check(all the variables involved), that contribute to fuel economy. your car, being an OBDII computer, would trip the light if anything related to fuel mileage were out of specs. some things it will list(not all), could be correct tire brand, correct tire size, tire pressure, brakes dragging(even the least), front axle partially engaged(on 4X4), even a thermostat opening 10 degrees early, there are many things to check, and none of these here can be diagnosed with a scan tool. that's why you would need to figure these out yourself, or take it to another 'technician' who will stop replacing unnecessary parts:
-complete tune up was done-neg
-transmission oil change-neg
-tranfer case oil verify-still neg
-wheel bearings -neg

these parts are common maintenance, and would not affect fuel economy.

hope that helps you

Old 02-23-04, 06:16 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike ,I did change tires last year,I did put same size but I also put all terrain tires,could it be a possibility
Thank you

Old 02-23-04, 06:26 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
your response is called an "oh, by the way...."

this only happens after i spend 2 hours attempting to diagnose a customer's problem, ask them for more information, and they say----"oh, by the way, it started doing that ever since i did this....(fill in the blank). from alarms, to radios, tires, wheels, wings, aftermarket parts, ACCIDENTS, etc.....
it contributes to my stress level, as i'm sure it does to everyone elses too.

i would say you found your problem, more aggressive tires will have more rolling resistance=more fuel burned per mile.