Fixing a heater core?

Old 02-23-04, 02:57 PM
rvpnow
Visiting Guest
Question Fixing a heater core?

I have a 95 Cadillac STS and I am almost positive that my heater core is leaking and I would like to know if it is possible to fix (i.e. replace or repair) this problem myself. If this is possible, than can someone give me instructions or tell me what site to go to get the necessary info? Thank you in advance. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 04:06 PM
Heater cores for the most part are a PITA.Yes you can do one if you are patient.Go to a library and copy the instructions or get a manual.The instructions will be detailed and you will need to refer to them repeatedly.You could buy an alldata subcription for 25 bucks.If you have coolant on the passenger floor or a windshield that wont defrost and is fogged up you probably need a core.You will most likely need to have the a/c system evactuated to remove refrigerant.

Old 02-23-04, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by davo
You will most likely need to have the a/c system evactuated to remove refrigerant. [/B]
Why would the a/c system need to be evacuated due to a leaking heater core???

Old 02-24-04, 02:48 AM
Carnut,

Most evaporators are either in the way of removing the heater core or are in the same box as the heater core. You have to disconnect the A/C lines and therefore evac&recharge.

Heater cores are a PITA and usually the car maker starts with the heater core and builds the car around it!

Old 02-24-04, 06:48 AM
PITA...

...yeah...ask any Jeep tech...remove the entire dash in a Grand to get at the evap core.

my guess is that the caddy has mucho stuff behind the dash and about a million screws holding it all together...take your time and walk away when you feel the urge to smash something!

Old 02-24-04, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
Carnut,

Most evaporators are either in the way of removing the heater core or are in the same box as the heater core. You have to disconnect the A/C lines and therefore evac&recharge.

Heater cores are a PITA and usually the car maker starts with the heater core and builds the car around it!
I understand if you disconnect the A/C lines, but Davo's post sounded to me like you needed to evacuate due to replacing the heater core not because you had to disconnect the lines to get the core out.

Old 02-24-04, 07:01 PM
This heater core is actually quite easy. You remove the glove box, the ecm and a pile of screws and a cover and the heater core is right there staring at ya. You dont have to remove, or evacuate the A/C either. Way cool. Labor quide says 2.4 hours.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy