Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 GrandAm - Oil Light

Visiting Guest

02-24-04, 10:32 AM   #1  
carlsdad
99 GrandAm - Oil Light

1999 Grand Am 6 cylinders, 64000 miles. I got the oil changed <1000 miles ago and now the Change Oil light just came on. This light has never came on before even the time I was past due on an oil change. Took it to a new place (local dealership) to change the oil, but they supposedly use Valvoline which is what I always put in. I already have a touchy Check Tire Pressure light that drives me nuts, I don't know if I can deal with two!

Sponsored Links

VA

02-24-04, 11:02 AM   #2  
an easy one...

press the RESET button located in the driver's side instrument panel fuse block

the CHANGE OIL indicator will begin to flash

press and hold the RESET button again until you hear a chime and the OIL CHANGE indicator go out

Visiting Guest

02-24-04, 11:20 AM   #3  
carlsdad
Thanks. Any reason that this came on, or just one of those things? I don't even know what triggers it in the first place.

VA

02-24-04, 11:28 AM   #4  
sure...

...it comes on somewhere between 3000 and 7500 miles...the service information doesn't explain the criteria but it has to do with the life of the oil rather than just the number of miles it's been in your engine...obviously 3000 miles on the highway is not the same as 3000 miles in town

the last place to change it didn't reset the light, i guess...

hope that takes care of it...

Visiting Guest

02-24-04, 11:46 AM   #5  
carlsdad
Thanks again!

Search this Thread