95 Saturn- hard starting

Old 02-24-04, 10:48 AM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
95 Saturn- hard starting

1995 Saturn SL-2 SOC will check for engine specs. Car is at home as I couldn't get it started!

Car is very hard to start when cold. After it has run for even a few minutes it starts fine. Runs great when it does start. I had a computer module replaced a year ago, other than that I have just done basic tune-ups and oil changes. Love the car...this has been going on for about 3 months, it has just recently gotten really bad. I have spark, there is no fuel smell as if it is flooding. I don't think it's a fuel pump or filter problem because when it does start it runs great. When trying to start the car, acts as if its going to start, but then, within 2 seconds or so of turning the key it just fails to "catch". At times it will also rev to 2500 or so rpm's but then settle down.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 01:38 PM
when was the last time it had a fuel filter?

sounds like a fuel situation to me...can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key on? (don't crank the engine, just turn the key on and listen carefully...most fuel pumps are audible). it should run for a couple seconds and then turn off...this primes the lines and keeps it from taking a long time to crank and start. the other thing maybe is a temp sensor that is out of range...still working but not reporting the correct temp info to the engine controller (won't set a code) it's a very important input for start up...esp cold

Old 02-24-04, 02:36 PM
Sounds like fuel pressure or volume to me also.I've replaced plenty of fuel pumps for that concern.Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure against the specs for your car and leave the gauge on overnight and see how far it dropped.Try starting the car and see if the pressure instantly rises up to the spec while cranking.

Old 02-25-04, 07:58 AM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
carguyinva- fuel filter was replaced last fall, and I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned and yes it does turn off after priming the lines...I did replace the temp sensor last spring so I might check that out first...is there a way to test them or since they are relatively cheap should I just replace?

davo- I will get a fuel pressure gauge and check that out as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get back with an update when I learn more!

Old 02-27-04, 11:16 AM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
keepin on'

I changed out the coolant temp. sensor and got no change. Still wont start. I haven't been able to track down a fuel pressure gauge yet so that still remains to be done. I did just pick up a fuel filter and will put that on this weekend and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for all the help....

Old 02-28-04, 01:58 PM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
one more step!

Well, I changed out the fuel filter and after some coaxing I got the car to start. Once it was warm it started fine. I'll check for cold start in a bit. It still was not idling properly after warm up- high rpm's, and the fan did not turn on when the engine got hot. I went back to the coolant temp sensor. The sensor itself checked out find. My manual said to check for volts from the computer and that it should be approx. 5V. It was well under at 3.45. My manual didn't say anything about what to do if it was not at 5V. Suggestions? And thanks for your help!

Old 02-28-04, 04:45 PM
You must unplug the sensor to chack for reference voltage.You may havwe been measuring signal return volts.Explain how you are testing.

Old 03-04-04, 10:56 AM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
unplugged!

I unplugged the sensor and tested the lead from the control box with the key on (engine not running).

Old 03-04-04, 03:21 PM
Where did you place the ground lead of your digital multimeter during the test?Also since you have been working on this car for a while what was your battery voltage available at the time of the test.It's very important to have 12 volts available when testing,if you had 11 that explains your reading.No maybes or I think it was enough.I would put a battery charger on it for awhile and then retest for 5 volts.

Old 03-05-04, 11:31 AM
gr8ful
Visiting Guest
You rock Davo!

I did charge the battery recently but that doesn't mean it still has a full charge. That will be my next step. I grounded the tester to the engine. Rookie mistake?