vibration....clutch?

Old 02-14-04, 09:44 PM
harrywinston
Visiting Guest
Question vibration....clutch?

I'm not quire sure what the problem is with my Miata. I noticed a vibrating/possibly grinding noise today when I was shifting into reverse. It is not a very loud noise. It not only did this when shifting gears, but also when I was sitting at a stop light, with the car idling in first gear. What could the problem be? I appreciate any help!

Old 02-18-04, 07:44 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
How many miles is this clutch? Is the clutch pressed when it is making this noise or not?When was the fluid checked last in the transmission?Hate to try to answer a question with a question but I need more info..Anyway let me know and we will go from here.ok

Old 02-19-04, 12:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bad throw out bearing. When sitting at a light throw it into nuetral and let the clutch out. Now just rest your foot on the free play of the clutch and see if you feel the vibration when your foot starts to hit resistance.

Old 03-01-04, 02:20 PM
harrywinston
Visiting Guest
guess thats it!

I checked the clutch fluid level and it was full. So I then did what you said....and felt the vibration-grinding when I started to hit resistance. So, if it's a bad throw out bearing, how serious/costly is that repair?

Old 03-01-04, 02:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's an entire clutch job. The transmission has to be removed to access it so you should automatically change the clutch and pressure plate also while your in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: