4L60E Transmission Problems

Old 02-22-04, 07:57 AM
diercks1
Visiting Guest
4L60E Transmission Problems

I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with a 4L60E transmission. About 6 months ago it started to shift very hard (and it normally is extremely smooth shifting, hardly noticeable) into 2nd and 3rd gears, but only after being run at a constant speed (45-80mph) for several miles. It doesn't seem to be heat related b/c I could run it around tthrough city traffic all day and it won't do it. As soon as I turn it off and let it sit for a minute or two it will be back to normal. The fluid level is fine, and the color is good. I just replaced the gasket, filter and fluid about 3 months ago thinking it might help, but to no avail. I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-04, 10:04 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you might want to get someone to hook a scan tool to the trans computer, and see if any fault codes can be extracted, or if any sensors are out of range. line pressure (harsh shifts) should be computer regulated, and the failure mode is usually 'full pressure', and all you see is the hard shifting.

it could be as simple as a failing solenoid, or a wiring/connector issue, or just about anything. turning the truck off, usually resets whatever is in 'default' (temporarily)

you might want to wait for 'davo', he would know a lot more than me on these, as he works on these everyday.

Old 02-22-04, 10:26 AM
diercks1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. May have to take it in then.

Old 02-24-04, 04:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A little late but I missed this post my opinion is you have a bad valve body.I have replaced a few for this problem but suggest having codes checked first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: