sunbird 94 2.0L check engine light (weird)

Old 02-24-04, 09:29 PM
maunor2000
Visiting Guest
sunbird 94 2.0L check engine light (weird)

hello ! can somebody help me? when i start my sunbird 94 it just doesn't run good, the engine feels like the fire is poor it cuts and after a while when the engine warms up the "check engine" light comes on,and the car runs like a new, as long the check engine light is on the car runs great.I go for a ride and when i shut the engine and restart it the light goes off and it stil runnin bad until the light comes on and it runs good again please help me?thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 10:03 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
a check engine light=a stored fault code.

either find a store that reads codes for free(autozone) or find out how to extract them yourself with a paper clip. if i knew exactly how, i'd tell you.

post the code number here.

Old 02-25-04, 07:46 PM
maunor2000
Visiting Guest
thanks i found the code it's 44 (o2 sensor lean exhaust) can someone help me with this? do i have to replace the oxygen sensor or what?

Old 02-26-04, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by maunor2000
thanks i found the code it's 44 (o2 sensor lean exhaust) can someone help me with this? do i have to replace the oxygen sensor or what?
Not necessarily. It's going to require some testing and further diagnosis. The most common cause for something like that is a severe vacuum leak. Look around for broken or disconnected hoses, leaking intake gaskets etc. The O/2 needs to be monitored while artificially enriching to see if it is cabable of going rich. It's going to require some equipment and knowledge to do this.

Old 03-08-04, 11:04 AM
maunor2000
Visiting Guest
thanks for the tips i check the vaccum hoses and nothing seems to be wrong..... can bad sparkplugs do this? thanks DESI501

Old 03-08-04, 02:55 PM
Not real likely on the plugs unless they've been bad so long that they ruined the O/2 but then you'd have both lean and rich codes in memory. It's going to require some testing with a DVOM. First you'll have to artifically enrich to see of the O/2 is capable of responding, then you can eliminate that as a possibility. If the O/2 checks good, then you have to start looking for the reason it is lean. Fuel pressure and vacuum leaks are the first suspects.

Old 03-09-04, 10:18 AM
maunor2000
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help Desi 501 i'm gonna double check the vaccum hoses.and what about the fuel pressure can it be to low or to high?

Old 03-09-04, 02:35 PM
Yes a lean exhaust can be from a fuel pressure or volume problem.Check it with a guage don't guess as it wastes time and effort.The pressure or volume would be low to set a lean exhaust code.

Old 03-09-04, 09:00 PM
maunor2000
Visiting Guest
thanks Davo for your help! what's the cause of low pressure is it the fuel filter that's pluged or the injectors dirty or else?

Old 03-10-04, 04:29 AM
Fuel pump could be weak,fuel filter dirty or a faulty fuel pressure regulator.Dirty injectors won't cause low fuel pressure but could cause a lower amount of fuel to be delivered to the engine.I would not think you have an injector problem though.

Search this Thread