Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brake line repair

Visiting Guest

02-25-04, 04:54 AM   #1  
danielmccoy
Brake line repair

1986 Ford Taurus, 3.0 liter, 6 cylinder.
I've got to replace a section of metal brake line due to rusting. I know the 'best' solution is to replace the entire line but I prefer not to do that because I can't get the fittings loose on either end of the line. If I splice the line can I use compression fittings or do I have to flare the ends and connect with male/female fittings?

Sponsored Links

VA

02-25-04, 05:08 AM   #2  
Daniel,

don't use compression fittings...ever in a brake sytem. the best repair you can make is, as you said, to replace the entire line...some you can buy thru the dealer, most you have to make. the next best thing is to double flare...or ISO flare...the cut ends and connect a new piece of line with unions. you can buy new line in varying lengths and diameters...be sure you know what size (diameter) you are dealing with. the trouble i find is that the smaller the brake line diameter, the harder it is to get a good flare...so you might want to practice a bit, or at least flare your ends and then buy the new piece according to that dimension...rather than buying a piece of line and then having to keep cutting off and flaring until you get a good one and then not having a long enough new line (does that make sense?)

be sure to double and triple check for leaks after you've made the repair.

Search this Thread