high idle at start up on 87 honda accord

Old 02-25-04, 10:02 AM
trahan13
Visiting Guest
high idle at start up on 87 honda accord

please help !!!I bought this 87 accord in houston ( 90 miles away).I DROVE I T HOME (ALMOST) IT DIED RIGHT AT THE CITY LIMIT, I THOUGHT IT WAS THE TIMING BELT,SO I HAD IT TOWED IN. A FEW DAYS LATTER I STARTED TO WORK ON IT AND FOUND THAT IT WAS NOT THE BELT. IT STARTED RIGHT UP! BUT WAS IDDELING REAL HIGH AT 3000 RPMS AND WOULD NOT GO DOWN, I TOOK OFF IN IT , IT DROVE FIND, BUT STAYED HIGH FOR ABOUT 10 MIN AND THEN IT DIED AGAIN, NOW IT WOULD NOT START AGAIN FOR AWHILE. IT FINALLY STARTED AND IT WAS AGAIN AT 3000 RPMS SO I LET IT IDLE FOR A WHILE, IT WENT DOWN TO 1500 RPMS AFTER ABOUT 10 MIN THEN STARTED GOING BACK UP ON IT'S OWN TO 3200 RPMS. I THEN SHUT IT OFF AND LET IT COOL FOR A FEW MIN. THEN TRIED TO CRANK IT BACK UP, IT WAS HARD TO CRANK BUT WHEN IT CRANKED UP IT STARTED THE SAME PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN. SO NOW ITS CRANKING AT 3000 RPMS STAYING THERE, DIEING OUT AFTER A FEW MIN AND THE TAKING ALONG TIME TO CRANK UP AGAIN. PLEASE HELP ME! CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TO LOOK FOR? THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-04, 04:26 PM
First I'd look for a vacuum leak. It's going to have to be a large one. If it's not obvious externally, I've also had problems with the decel valves coming apart inside and having an internal vacuum leak. It drove me crazy looking for it the first time.