Ford F-150 Oil Leak

Old 02-25-04, 07:45 PM
Ford F-150 Oil Leak

I posted earlier about buying a 1990 Ford F-150 Lariet with a 5.0 A/T with 88,000 miles on it. I bought the truck and it had an oil leak, the person knocked off $400 dollars for the oil leak and a few other minor problems. I get about 4 small drips after each time I park it, I have looked on top of the engine and it is clean not coming from valve cover gaskets. I look underneath and it seems like it might be coming from the oil pan gasket, or in that area, it is on both sides of oil pan. What other place could it be coming from, where else should I look. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-04, 06:55 AM
Clean the oil on the engine well with a degreaser and then look for the source of the leak next time you run it. Could be from a number of places on the engine. I'd start looking at the front main seal. It's hard to tell where the leak is when the oil has been blown around.

Old 02-26-04, 09:02 AM
Thanks I will try that after the snow melts and I can get uo under the truck, on a seal like that the front seal or back is this a major fix, if so what cost are you looking at. Thanks

Old 02-26-04, 06:43 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
front seal easy fix but a booger to get to for a 5 minute that it takes to replace the seal.....

Old 03-02-04, 04:08 PM
I got to look under the truck and majority of oil is on the the passenger side of the oil pan, right where the back of oil pan and transmission meet, but to the side not directly in middle. It is all coming from the one side it looks like, could it be the oil pan gasket. I have never seen bolts in a oil pan like this it has like a gaket or spacer in between the blots and the pan. Most of the oil is coming down on starter. Is this were the rear main seal is, if so how much to fix or about how much time to fix by a mechanic. It has the 5.0 with a A.T.

Old 03-03-04, 03:07 PM
Don't these oil pans have a history of rusting out ?
I have seen and replaced many, trucks & vans mostly.
Check for blistering of metal/paint from the pan.

Old 03-03-04, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I can't tell exactly were the leak is coming from so I am going to take it to the garage. The oil pan does have alot of surface rust on it and like I said in last post alot of oil right along seam of oil pan, so I hope it is the oil pan, I guess that is alot cheaper ? I was told at the Local auto parts store that if it is the rear main seal and you replace it, it only last about a year because the crank hits rubs against it and causes it to leak, is this true. Well I hope only the oil pan gasket, if so should I replace the oil pan itself since it has surface rust, how much to fix? If rear main seal how much to fix and will it last? Thanks

Old 03-03-04, 05:53 PM
"Kill two birds with one stone", replace pan & gaskets.
That statement about the crank wearing out the seal is off. Ask yourself, how many miles was placed on the original seal, not one year! If you want, add an oil pump replacement if $ is not a problem.

Old 03-05-04, 04:25 PM
I am sure now it is the oil pan gasket, I wiped everything down and let engine run and it came from oil pan, gasket in one area is coming half way out. Can you get the oil pan out without jacking up engine? If so I can do it, if not I will have to take to garage. This a a 5.0 with a A/T and 2 Wheel Drive. Thanks

Old 03-06-04, 07:51 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
FORDS, DON'T LEAK, They just mark their territory. LOL.

Search this Thread