Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing retractable (pop-up) headlights

Visiting Guest

02-27-04, 01:56 PM   #1  
hoodrat
Replacing retractable (pop-up) headlights

Is there a way I can replace the retractable (pop-up) headlights on my 1994 Ford Probe GT by myself? The car is a manual transmission. One of the headlights does not work on low-beams. Both high-beams still work, though. The Ford mechanic said that he needs to remove the front bumper in order to do this repair. I have already bought my own replacement headlights at an auto parts store (much cheaper there than at the Ford dealership!), and I was wondering if there is a way I can do this repair myself (without having to take off the front bumper!).

To save me some money, the Ford mechanic recommended I take my car to an auto body shop for this repair. The auto body shop can replace the headlights and will charge less for labor than what the Ford dealership will charge. That is probably very true, but I'd rather do this repair myself, if possible.

Thanks for any information or advice you may have!

Last edited by hoodrat; 02-27-04 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsored Links

02-27-04, 08:51 PM   #2  
Headlamp Replacement

hoodrat,

A bit more info would help us to answer.

Are the bulbs the old large style or the new small style halogens?

If the old standard headlamps, you should be able to turn on your headlights and then disconnect the battery or pull the fuse which should leave the lights open. It works on my '89 GT.

Then you can remove any trim covers, retaining rings, etc and replace the bulb.

If you need some more help, just holler.

Matt

Visiting Guest

02-27-04, 10:30 PM   #3  
hoodrat
Re: Headlamp Replacement

Originally posted by smogtek
hoodrat,

A bit more info would help us to answer.

Are the bulbs the old large style or the new small style halogens?

If the old standard headlamps, you should be able to turn on your headlights and then disconnect the battery or pull the fuse which should leave the lights open. It works on my '89 GT.

Then you can remove any trim covers, retaining rings, etc and replace the bulb.

If you need some more help, just holler.

Matt
Matt,

Thanks for your reply. The Ford mechanic told me I would need a sealed unit replacement headlight -- not just the bulb. So I bought two new sealed unit headlights at an auto parts store. The ones the Ford dealership were going to sell me were twice as expensive!

So it looks like I don't need to just replace the bulb inside the headlight. The whole headlight unit needs to be replaced. I will take a closer look at the headlights tomorrow afternoon and try to determine if I can get them to come out. You are right, though -- I didn't think about having to turn on the headlights first so they pop up and then having to disconnect the battery or fuse so that they remain popped up for replacement. What a hassle this is turning out to be!!

02-28-04, 07:27 AM   #4  
Some cars have a position on the headlite sw to raise the lights but not illuminate them, it's for snow, ice or servicing so you can leave them up....do you have that position?

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 08:25 AM   #5  
mike from nj
i know my old neighbor had an early style probe, maybe the same as yours. she had the same problem, though, and a quick glance at the owner's manual showed what that mystery button on the dashboard meant. it raised the headlights, but without lighting them.

Visiting Guest

03-07-04, 08:36 AM   #6  
hoodrat
Thanks for the info regarding pop-up headlights. I don't have a switch on the dash that only raises the lights without lighting them. That would be a good thing to have, though! I ended up letting the Ford mechanic install the new headlights I bought at an auto parts store. Only took about 45 minutes, and only cost $118.00!

Search this Thread