Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tranny problems?

Visiting Guest

02-27-04, 02:12 PM   #1  
ridelikehell
Tranny problems?

Vehicle is a '92 Pathfinder, 180,000 miles, auto tranny...

A couple of times a little while ago, i would put in gear, and it would just die...

today, my dad was driving it, and he heard a whirlling sound from around the tranny area...he tried to accelerate but the car barely went anywhere...

i'm thinking it might be the torque convertor but if anyone else has any other ideas that'd be great!

thanks!

Sponsored Links

02-28-04, 07:40 AM   #2  
I would perform a code ck first for engine and trans.

You state a while ago it use to stall when put in gear, did it stop doing that?

How about other gears? How does it run in neutral? Service history?

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 10:16 AM   #3  
ridelikehell
yeah it stopped stalling it only seemed to happen when i was really cold...

the problem occurs through all of the gears, in neutral it idles just fine, except for the annoying whining sound...

no problems with the engine or tranny in the past, all services and oil changes done on time etc etc

02-28-04, 10:56 AM   #4  
Sounds like a trans problem. The whining sound could be the pump in the trans starving to pickup fluid. When was the last the trans was serviced?

It doesn't drive now?

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 02:01 PM   #5  
ridelikehell
I'm assuming the last time it was serviced was at the last checkup which was about 6,000 miles ago...it's not driving right now we just went this morning and BARELY got it to the dealership...it just revs and goes nowhere...i'm thinking its the torque convertor...does that sound right?

02-28-04, 02:19 PM   #6  
Not really, Torque convertors are not the most common failed part. Yours sounds like a pump/pressure issue.

It seems your not sure if the trans was ever serviced, what did the fluid look like on the stick?
I'm assuming the last time it was serviced was at the last checkup which was about 6,000 miles ago

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 05:55 PM   #7  
ridelikehell
No, I'm not sure if it was ever serviced...there has never been any problems with it, I just assumed they would do a fluid change at the dealership when it was in for a tune up?...I haven't checked the tranny dipstick so I can't say what the fluids looked like...

02-28-04, 06:01 PM   #8  
Sounds like the filter or screen is plugged up and pump cannot draw any fluid, hence the whinning noise.

WV

02-28-04, 08:05 PM   #9  
You would know if the dealer serviced it. By the additional cost on the service invoice. This is not an item that any shop is just going to do. It is not normally a cheap service and it isnt going to be done as a courtesy. They would have asked you first, recommending necessary services aside from what you took it in for to begine with.
Billy

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 08:28 PM   #10  
ridelikehell
great thanks for all the input guys...it's in at Nissan and it'll be checked out first thing monday i'll let you all know what the diagnosis is...

thanks again!

Search this Thread