fuel pump replacement costs

Old 02-28-04, 11:14 AM
seabiscuit2
Visiting Guest
fuel pump replacement costs

What would you estimate the cost of replacing the fuel pump in a 1998 chrysler sebring lxi? They put on a new fuel filter first, problem continued. They have promised to replace fuel filter again for free when fuel pump is replaced. Make sense? What would the cost of the fuel pump replacement be, if in fact, they are giving me a new fuel filter for free?

Thanks a million....

I am just looking for a ballpark figure

Last edited by seabiscuit2; 02-28-04 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-04, 03:11 PM
sebring fuel pump replacement

Not sure why you're replacing the fuel pump.

Has it been diagnosed as defective?

Anyway, the cost has a couple of variables like OEM part from Chrysler vs aftermarket part from NAPA, AutoZone, etc.

Access to the pump dictates the labor cost. If the fuel tank has to be dropped, then it will cost more than a fuel pump you can access from under the back seat.

FWIW, my 86 Accord fuel pump was about $100 at AutoZone and the labor would have been about $65-90 if I had someone do it. If you get an OEM pump located in tank, you could be looking at about $200-400 for the pump and about 2 hours labor times local labor rates for the install.

HTH

Matt

Old 02-28-04, 08:32 PM
This fuel pump is accessible through the floor board under the rear seat. The cost of an OEM fuel pump is approximately $240.00 The aftermarket will sell you one from anywhere from $168.88 to $268.99. The labor guide states .7 hours is the amount of time it takes to do this. Most shops will round that to an even hour. So whatever the labor rate is in your area add that to the price of the part and theres your estimate.
Before you replace the pump maybe you can tell us what your problem is and we might be able to save you some money and time in the shop.
Billy

Old 03-05-04, 09:13 AM
seabiscuit2
Visiting Guest
Can't thank you enough for your responses! Car is in another city with niece who attends U of Texas. I was paying for her car to be fixed, as the fuel pump was gone on it. Repair shop was understanding of our circumstances, kept me informed, and made sure that her car was ready at the estimated time they had given us. I told my niece that for any other automotive problems, if we can't get it here...they are our new best friends. As a female, non-automotive speaker, I really appreciated them. The final chrage for everything was about $500. I called several shops in my Houston area and got estimates of $510 - $620. So, the shop in Austin was right in the ballpark, on the low side.

Thanks again for your responses. Through this website, I have now fixed my washing machine by myself, and gotten good advice on a Chrysler fuel pump. Now, when anything goes wrong, my Mr. Wonderful says: "Honey, you need to 'call' your friends" HAH!