chrysler codes

Old 02-28-04, 12:39 PM
abj
Visiting Guest
chrysler codes

I have an 1987 dodge lancer. The car stoped running and I discovered there was no spark ( I checked at the coil wire). I checked the codes and came up with two : code 17 and code 26 . Ino longer have my code chart so can anyone tell me what these codes are. By the way this is a 2.5 engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-04, 04:30 PM
The codes didn't cause for the "no spark" although 1 of them may be giving a hint
17- Engine is staying too cool too long (could be old code)

26- Injector current limit not acheived

the code 26 could be a hint that you don't have injector power supply. Did you check that? Check to see if you have power supply at the coil also. You may have a bad ASD relay that supplies power to both.

Old 02-28-04, 10:40 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
as a starting point, i'd check to see if the distributor rotor is spinning when the engine is cranked.

'injector peak current not reached' is not what you're thinking. it means when the driver in the pcm shuts off the injector, it is looking for the 50-60 volt spike. if it's like 20-30, then the injector peak current isn't reached.

i honestly didn't know 1987 technology measured this, much less reported it. how accurate is your info desi. i found a code 27 is an injector control circuit, and no mention (in a 93 listing) of a code 26. if this isn't figured out by monday, i'll find an old 87 book in work.

code 17 means your thermostat is stuck open or missing.

remember, these distributor pick-ups (sensors) back then, were so unreliable, you had to have a spare in the glove box. when it dies, no spark, no injector and no fuel pump----the computer has no idea the engine is spinning

see what you have, as far as injector pulse, you can see it with the air filter removed.

let us know

Old 02-29-04, 04:20 AM
Mike's "the man" on Chryslers. He's probably right on., although I believe those code definitions to be accurate.

Old 03-01-04, 05:39 PM
abj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I am having the car towed home ,as soon as it arrives I will follow your advice ,I'll let you know what I find.
abj

Old 03-04-04, 02:13 PM
abj
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

The car has finally arrived. I checked, as suggested by Mike from NJ, to see if the rotor rotared while cranking the engine.Sure enough it does not ,I suspect the timing belt( I'll check better when it stops raining) . I haven't worked on cars for about 15 years so my thought patterns are a bit rusty.Thanks again for getting me back on track.
abj

Old 03-04-04, 08:58 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
consider yourself lucky, timing belts have only gotten much harder in the last 15 years. i miss these old belts.

all you'll need is a floorjack, block of wood, and common metric hand tools. the job can be done in a single afternoon.

before you start, remove the upper belt cover(2-3 10mm bolts) and put a wrench on the camshaft to see if it turns. if it's seized, and caused the belt to shear some teeth, you'll have decisions to make.

you might need a timing light too, to check the timing when you're done.

ask any questions you might have, i usually check here once a day, even if i don't post.

Old 03-05-04, 02:08 PM
abj
Visiting Guest
Thanks mike I'll besure to ask if I have any more questions
abj