Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Head Light troubles...

Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 08:14 PM   #1  
saltyballs
Head Light troubles...

I've got a 96 GMC K1500 with the composite headlights. This trunk also has the day time running lights. A few years back the low beam lights started to intermitently go out. High beams worked fine. Fortunately I still could get by with the day time running lamps (they're just as bright). Finally my little trick caught up with me and the day time lights quit... I've priced a new dimmer switch with the dealership and ouch $250.00 ++... Seems I would have to replace the entire "multi-function stalk". Well a quick swap of the high beams bulb's position on the composite lamp has gotten me on my way for now but the time to do the Ole' state inspection is quickly coming. Any ideas outside of writing a check to the dealership?? Is there a relay of somesort that might be in need of replacement. I'd hate to have to rip apart the steering column but I am willing. Any ideas would be great...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-28-04, 11:30 PM   #2  
mike from nj
try heading to your library and photocopying some wiring diagrams. with them and a test-light, you can see exactly where voltage is making it to and where it isn't. it might get confusing if you have a body control module. it will be cheaper than $250 that might not fix it or heading to a nasty dealer.

while you're working on it, there's plenty of people here who can answer any questions you might have.

02-29-04, 12:53 AM   #3  
Did you check the bulbs?

Visiting Guest

03-07-04, 01:26 PM   #4  
saltyballs
Bulbs was the 1st thing to be changed. Both sides. Multi meter is the way I thought would be the only way to go (out side of just replacing the various switches etc).... I do have a suspicition that the prior owner may have had a snow plow. There's a small hole in the firewall and a few screw marks on the dash where a "fisher" mini joy stick could have been mounted. When a snow plow is installed on a trunk.. Where does the plow frames lights get connected? If I knew that,, It would save some time with the Multi-meter.... Thanks for the responces,, sorry I haven't gotten back sooner to thank you, but a 1 1/2 year old sure does keep you away from the computer.

Thanks....

03-07-04, 01:41 PM   #5  
Thats were history helps out big time.....often the problem wasn't the vehicle but what some did to it, Alarm, stereo,trailer lights, winch etc.

Plow lights are usually hooked up between the switch and the original lights. Power must flow through the plow wiring to power the orginal lights.

Some kits unplug the factory headlite connnectors and have male connectors of the plow lights into them. Power is routed through relays and the finally back to the orginal head lites with a female plug from the plow harness.

So you are on the right track

Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 12:17 AM   #6  
mike from nj
i know they have those 'plug and play' connectors now, but did they in 96?

up until about 2-3 years ago, i can remember cutting and soldering a lot of wires to make the plow lights work.

most connections i made were right behind the headlight, because it was easiest to see the wire colors where they came out of the harness there.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least, to have had some side connectors removed(blue scotch-locks) and leave behind bare wire. it's only a matter of time before the copper corrodes to green dust and leaves an open circuit. the tricky part is that the insulation will still look intact.

get a good flashlight, and go over all the wires real good----looking for fresh or different electrical tape than what came from the factory. i bet you find a crimp/butt connector that's loose.

Search this Thread