Need Gas Tank Leak Repair ADvise

Old 02-29-04, 10:26 AM
Need Gas Tank Leak Repair ADvise

Black circle on tank of 1984 Honda. Drip in center. Whole tank leaked out in less than a week.

I have heard rubbing white soap like Ivory will stop the leak.

What about surf board wax?

What else?

Getting ready to do it now... hope someone is there.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 10:44 AM
You don't repair it, you replace it. It's rusting from the inside out and will only get worse. Water pockets in the lowest point of the tank and rusts it out.

Old 02-29-04, 10:50 AM
Can a quick repair at least let it stop for awhile? We want to sell it.

Is a gas tank from a junk yard reliable? How much are they usually?

They are easy to switch out I think I've heard. Right?

Old 02-29-04, 10:58 AM
junkyard gas tank

keeps,

You should be OK with a junkyard gas tank if you check it out first. Out here in So Cal junkyards are a bonanza of parts because of all the cars and the good weather. We don't have the corrosion problems you do back East.

The swap isn't that difficult and the prices at the "pick-a-part" (DIY) yards are usually OK. Most places are very aware of the retail prices of auto parts and some places charge a percentage of retail - like 40-50%. Depends on the part.

Make sure you take enough tools to get the job done and don't forget the WD-40!

HTH

Matt

Old 02-29-04, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by foreverkeeps
Can a quick repair at least let it stop for awhile? We want to sell it.
Is a gas tank from a junk yard reliable? How much are they usually?
They are easy to switch out I think I've heard. Right?
I'd have to say no on all three questions

There is no good way to temporarily repair it. (would you want somebody to do that to you, anyway?)

A gas tank from a junk yard probably sat around for a good long time before you got it. If that tank had any condensation in it, then you'll have the same problem you have now. If it had old gas in it for over a year, everything will be gummed up. If you could be sure it's only been there for a month or two, it might be OK, but how will you know for sure?

As far as changing it, some are much harder that others. Sometimes rusty exhaust systems have to be removed first. Usually hoses and wiring are on top and have to be removed with the tank partially out, very tricky without a lift. If you do them every day it may seem easy but if your doing your first one it may seem monumental. (and messy)

Old 03-01-04, 06:20 AM
adding to what desi said...

...and dangerous. be very careful dealing with gasoline. don't work with it around open flames (your furnace or hot water heater in your garage perhaps)...and watch out for drop lights...very bad combination.

Old 03-01-04, 06:31 AM
BTW, when I sell it, I always tell everything that is wrong with the car, so the buyer will be aware that the gas tank needs replacing.

Old 03-01-04, 02:56 PM
You need to either replace it or park it somewhere that no body else is in danger. It's an accident waiting to happen and your risking everybody else's life too, not to mention ruining everybody's asphalt also.

Old 03-01-04, 06:31 PM
We've parked it on a gravel driveway that's not used very often.

Hope to replace the tank this week or sell it for a few hundred and let someone else do it.

Old 03-02-04, 07:20 PM
Most auto stores should have a gas tank repair kit. It is similar to an epoxy or fiberglass type material. You have to clean and rough up (sand) the area around the leak very well. Follow the directions. Look for a kit that has something to put on the leak to stop it while you make the repair. The area MUST be dry. Otherwise you have to get all the gas out so it will be dry.

I have used these with good success in the past. Prepare the surface well so it will stick and cover as much area as the material will allow if the leak is because of rust. It may take quite some time for the rust to make the leak start again. This will not last forever but you may be suprised how long it will last. Tell the new owner what you did and he can keep an eye on it, and he may find it will last a long time.

Desi assumed rust caused the leak but you did not say that. If the leak is from a puncture the patch if done correctly may last for a very very long time.

PS. All surface rust if any must be removed or the patch will not last very long.

Old 03-02-04, 08:58 PM
Eastwood Co. does have a sealer for small leaks, but it's $50
Plus 1/2 Gal. muriatic acid and 1/2 Gal. acetone (homedepot)
It's really to fix tanks that are hard to replace but it is an option

Old 03-03-04, 04:29 AM
Thanks guys! I'll check all this out. There's someone that wants to buy the car, but they don't need it with a leak, so I want to try to fix it.

Old 03-03-04, 05:40 AM
The stuff you mix up & put inside the tank is somewhat expensive, but the patch material I think is pretty reasonable.

Search this Thread