Poor Gas Mileage For An Olds Cutlas Supreme 1993

Old 02-29-04, 02:23 PM
bartman1969
Visiting Guest
Poor Gas Mileage For An Olds Cutlas Supreme 1993

My wife's care is getting about half the gas mileage it should. We recently had 2 injectors replaced and that fix the shaking problem but the gas mileage remained poor. The plugs were replaced about 1 year ago. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Could a fuel filter cause this?

Travis

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 03:22 PM
cutlass gas mileage

Travis,

We'd be happy to help if you could provide a "bit" more info on the car.

What size engine?

Is the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light on?

What recent maintenace, other than the injectors, have you had done?

Any other symptons such as hard starting, stalling, gas smell, etc?

Matt

Old 02-29-04, 05:05 PM
bartman1969
Visiting Guest
No service lights are on. The tune-up was last year. We had that done because of the rough ride and shaking, but it did not help. We finally had someone run a diagnosis on it and that's when they replaced the two bad injectors. At times we can smell gas, in fact I read another article earlier tonight and it said to smell the exhaust after we run a few miles and see if it smelled like gas, which it did not. No hard starting noticed, but today I took it for a ride on the interstate, approx 30 miles at 75 mph just to blow it out a bit, since my wife only runs around in town, a lot of stop and go driving. Anyway, once when cruising at approx 70 mph it felt as if it cut out a little, just a bit, but other than that it runs pretty smooth, especially since the injectors were replace. The engine is a 3.1 V6 191 CID. My wife said it feels as if it cuts out a bit during the day, but it's only slightly noticeable.

Thanks

Travis

Old 02-29-04, 06:50 PM
Sounds like the stop-and-go driving may have carboned it up. Try getting out for some more freeway miles a bit more often and see if clears up.

Short of a professional diagnosis I can only sugggest some preventive maintenance tips such as; fuel injection service (a REAL one such as Motorvac, not the cheapo induction services that all the quik lube places like to sell).

Today's fuel-injected engines will usually benefit more from this than a "tuneup" which "usually" means only replacing the spark plugs which you have already done.

You can also look into a throttle body cleaning, fuel filter replacement, O2 sensor replacement, etc. The O2 sensor fine tunes the air/fuel ratio and if it is lazy or worse yet dead, it can contribute to bad fuel economy.

For my money, a diagnosis that, at a minimum, includes putting a scan tool on to check all the sensor operating parameters, scoping the secondary ignition and checking the fuel pressure on a test drive is the best place to start.

HTH

Matt

Old 02-29-04, 07:00 PM
bartman1969
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much Matt!

Travis

Old 02-29-04, 07:10 PM
You're welcome.

Hope you get it straightened out. Let us know what happens.

Matt