Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rust - big spot

Visiting Guest

02-29-04, 09:06 PM   #1  
scrotes
Rust - big spot

HI!

great web site, great forum.

I know that youy are suposed to leave big rust spots to professionals, but i really can't afford to!

i have a 1984 toyota camry hatch.

under the top rim of the trunk, i have a huge rust spot, approximately the size of my hand, and it is quite deep. i know i need to cut it out and fill it, but i am looking for more speciofic information. does anyone know of any good web sites with reliable info about big rust spots? (and how to get that damn hatch off the trunk?!)

thanks!

Sponsored Links

TX

03-01-04, 03:36 AM   #2  
used hatch

Have you considerd going to a salvage yard finding a used hatch with no rust and then all you would need to do it paint and install?

Visiting Guest

03-01-04, 04:14 AM   #3  
scrotes
re: using something from a wreck yard. interesting. the rust spot is on the actual body of the car, not on the hatch. will i still be able to do it?

03-01-04, 05:28 AM   #4  
Rust to repaired must be cut out and fresh metal welded in. Anything else is going to be temporary and last 1-6 months.

Visiting Guest

03-01-04, 07:36 PM   #5  
scrotes
what do i use to cut it out? how do i cut it out?

can i fill it with fibre glass rather than welding something in?

thanks!

03-01-04, 08:59 PM   #6  
camry sheetmetal repair

Sound like this one is a bit beyond DIY unless you have all the professional equipment needed to cut and weld.

Fiberglass or Bondo is not really an option here.

Matt

Search this Thread