Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 F150 headlamp knob removal

green jacket's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 502

03-01-04, 01:21 PM   #1  
98 F150 headlamp knob removal

A neighbor just bought a 98 F150 XL 166K at a fleet auction at a company where he worked for many years, $2500 for it was good.
The knob for the headlamp switch is broken (it will fall out: the part that fits over the switch shaft is cracked and partially broken off from being clobbered at some point in time).
I discovered the problem, he went back to swap the knob with another truck, but could not get the knob off on another truck. The shaft on the switch is (+) shaped. Switch is 3 position.
My question: What is the trick to getting it out? He pulled, pryed, and pulled some more, then gave up. He will have another chance on Thursday. Time is limited to get it swapped, and he & I would hate for it to get lost during travel, as turning the switch would require pliers without the knob.

Advice appreciated, gj

Sponsored Links
davo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,417

03-01-04, 02:05 PM   #2  
How hard would it be to swap the whole switch?Some newer vehicles use components that are a one time use the knob may be that way.Could be it was never meant to come off without breaking it.I'm not sure on the Ford truck in question though.

Desi501's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,207

03-01-04, 03:06 PM   #3  
You have to reach behind to the switch itself. On the backside of the switch there is a release button. Pull the switch to the "on" position, the press the button and it will come right out. It's not the easiest thing to reach sometimes. You have to get the shaft out before you can get the switch out.

green jacket's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 502

03-04-04, 10:29 PM   #4  
clarification: this is a rotary switch, like on an oven (off/bake/broil/etc.)
Just wanted to make sure you were describing the right thing, not the older push-pull variety.
Thanks Desi501,

mike from nj's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

03-06-04, 09:03 AM   #5  
mike from nj
call a ford dealer's parts counter. see if they sell just the knob or just a whole switch. sounds like it might all be one part#

Search this Thread