Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Infiniti I30/Nissan Maxima Codes

Visiting Guest

03-01-04, 07:41 PM   #1  
emsluis
Infiniti I30/Nissan Maxima Codes

Does anyone know how to access the diagnostic codes on a 1998 Infiniti I30? I believe the procedure is also the same on the Nissan Maxima. My car is behaving a little oddly (weird shifting) and the engine light is comming on now and then so I would like to see if I can pull the codes on it.

Thanks,
Ed

Sponsored Links

03-01-04, 09:06 PM   #2  
retrieving codes

This is an OBD-II vehicle and requires a scan tool to access the codes and reset them.

AutoZone may have a scantool capable of retrieving the codes and they usually do it for free figuring they will sell you the needed part(s).

Be careful though. Biggest rookie mistake is replacing the part without a full diagnosis. The code only tells you the circuit/system that has a problem. It doesn't always mean the part is defective. It could be a shorted wire, bad ground, etc.

Parts guys are sales people not usually mechanics and have been known to lead many a DIYer astray for a sale.

HTH

Matt

VA

03-02-04, 09:10 AM   #3  
to add a little something...

...the only codes AZ will be able to access will be engine codes (and not even all of those may be available)...if there are other codes in other systems, it'll take a Infinity scan tool. the manufacturer's are stingy with information...it's an age old problem in the aftermarket. on the other hand, you have a high tech, electronically sophisticated automobile...the dealers technicians are supposed to be the best trained on those sytems.

good luck whichever route you choose

Search this Thread