oveheating

Old 03-02-04, 05:07 AM
juneski
Visiting Guest
oveheating

I have a 94 Mercury Cougar3.8 V-6. It was overheating, so I had the coolant temperature sensor replaced, water pump was bad and put in a new thermostat. Car still gets hot but fan wont turn on. We tested the fan to see if it worked and it did but still wont turn on when engine reaches certain temperature.Car only gets hot after about 30 minutes of driving on freeway

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-04, 06:50 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
you may have a fan relay bad or a fuse shot.take a test light see if your getting power to the plug

Old 03-02-04, 03:36 PM
Does it overheat if you drive around town or only when you drive at hwy speeds?

Old 03-02-04, 03:40 PM
Those symptoms don't sound like a fan problem. If it were only a fan problem, it would overheat when idling in traffic and cool down at highway speeds. Is it still consuming any coolant/

Old 03-04-04, 09:56 AM
juneski
Visiting Guest
overheating

My car consumes alot of coolant, and it does overheat during idling

Old 03-04-04, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately that engine is know for blowing Headgaskets and if you cannot find where the coolant is leaking thats most likely what you have.

Old 03-04-04, 07:13 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
what is the deal here everytime somebody brings up a 3.8 ford motor it is automatic the head gasket is blown.i have owned several of this engines and not one time have i ever had a head gasket problem.maybe a heater core or a water pump or maybe even a thermostat but,never a head gasket.a 3.8 is one of the best motors ive own to me ,this is my 2 cents worth

Old 03-05-04, 12:27 AM
All you have to do is a Goggle search for Ford 3.8 Headgaskets.

They extended the warranty on the Front drive models for the Headgaskets. The rear drive cars use virtually the same engine, but Ford claims because of the cooling system differences don't have a HG problem.

I'm not saying just because it overheating its HG's but if you using coolant and cannot find a leak guess what.

BTW I found this at Autosaftey. org:

Faced with rising consumer anger, Ford slowly responded. In March 2000, Ford issued Service Campaign 00M09 and extended the warranty on head gasket failures and related engine damage to 7 years/100,000 miles for FWD 1994-95 models covered by earlier Campaign 98M01. Owners of pre-1994 and RWD models not covered continued to complain. On April 26, 2000, Ford applied a bigger band-aid and covered 1994-95 RWD Thunderbirds, Mustangs and Cougars for 7 years/100,000 miles under Service Campaign 00M10.

Old 03-05-04, 11:41 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
well i used to work at an ford dealership as a mechcanic and i probaly changed maybe 2-3 head gaskets....but,its not only on here ive heard of other people sayin the head gaskets are bad about blowing on the 3.8 ford cars...the ones ive owned had been really great and dependable to me.the worse that happen to me was on 85 t-bird the water pump,t-stat,and the heater core went out on me all at one time.there was no sign it just went out..

Old 03-05-04, 11:47 AM
I had a '84 T-bird and a '85 Cougar and didn't have any problems with either.

The problem seem to surface on latter ones in the '90's

Old 03-05-04, 11:59 AM
juneski
Visiting Guest
overheating

So I might need to look at my heater core? Is there any other cause for my fan not to work? Because I changed the coolant temperature sensor, water pump and the thermostat

Old 03-05-04, 12:02 PM
juneski
Visiting Guest
overheating

So I might need to look at my heater core? Is there any other cause for my fan not to work.

Old 03-05-04, 12:32 PM
You need to find out where the coolant is going. If the system is low on coolant the temp sensor will not read correctly and the fan will not work.

Old 03-05-04, 03:59 PM
Re: overheating

Originally posted by juneski
So I might need to look at my heater core? Is there any other cause for my fan not to work.
Heater core!? I don't know where you got that one from. No relationship at all to the fan. Like Toyotaman and I both said. Find out where the coolant is going. That's your first priority. That will take a pressure test to do that. Don't look anywhere else until you resolve that issue.