oil opinion

Old 03-04-04, 07:15 AM
Question oil opinion

I've been using pennzoil for years in all my vehicles.normally 10w30. I've had mechanics tell me that it does not stand it well over time in engines.they say they have seen it when they have torn then down.first of all do you agee? if so which oils do you think are better on engines ?the oil he likes was either havoline or valvoline,not sure which. just trying to do what is right for my engine.it only has 65,ooo miles on it just getting broke it anyway compared to some i've heard. ive always heard you could change brands as long as you stayed with the same weights,is that right?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-04, 09:11 AM
all major brands are fine...

...oil quality standards maintained by manufacturers are strict. the biggest variable in oil and how it relates to service is operating habits. as long as you maintain the correct schedule of maintenance based on how you operate your car, you won't have oil related issues. check your owners manual and see which maintenance category you fall into and then follow the recommendations for that type of service.

brand specific engine failures or buildup issues are just not true...it's a matter of using the correct oil for your application and servicing it according to your usage habits

Old 03-04-04, 10:43 AM
Re: all major brands are fine...

Originally posted by carguyinva
...oil quality standards maintained by manufacturers are strict. the biggest variable in oil and how it relates to service is operating habits. as long as you maintain the correct schedule of maintenance based on how you operate your car, you won't have oil related issues. check your owners manual and see which maintenance category you fall into and then follow the recommendations for that type of service.

brand specific engine failures or buildup issues are just not true...it's a matter of using the correct oil for your application and servicing it according to your usage habits
Perfectly stated..............

Old 03-04-04, 05:27 PM
pennzoil

FWIW, that Pennzoil slam has been around a LONG TIME.

It goes back to the 50's and 60's and even some 70's vehicles that used to show a lot of oil sludge buildup after many miles. A lot of oldtimers used to call them "Pennzoil engines".

From what I understand, the sludge buildup was caused by a combination of lower engine temps and short trips. Makes sense especially when you consider todays' modern computer-controlled vehicles burn much leaner and hence hotter than the gas-guzzlers of old.

Short auto lesson for you DIYer's:

In order to meet today's strict emissions requirements, vehicles have to run a lot leaner than before. Leaner burn equates to higher engine temps. Vehicles today run at an average engine temp of 185-190 degress (and some even higher)where the cars of old typically ran about 160-165 degrees. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is. This allows for more complete combustion. The engine oil also gets to a higher temp and has less of a tendency to sludge up. There are other factors that come into play, but this is the simplest explanation.

As for your original question: The BRAND of oil is NOT as important as the API service rating (SC, SD, etc) and the VISCOSITY/GRADE (5W30, 20W50, etc) of oil as well as the frequency of oil and filter changes. Check your owner's manual or your manufacturer to be sure. Some vehicle warranties could be voided for using the wrong oil. Every 3,000-6,000 miles should suffice under NORMAL driving conditions.

Personally, I change mine every 3K, but my company car gets changed every 6K.

HTH

Matt

Old 03-05-04, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Search the archives here and you'll find a number of threads on the subject. Every time it comes up my $.02 worth is added using my work vehicle as the example: 1994 Chevy W-4 (350 Chevy gas engine). The current engine has 240,000 miles on it using Sam's Club 10W-30 with 3000 mile changes. We put on approx 35,000/year and towing cars here in the summer is about as severe use as you can get.

tg

Old 03-05-04, 11:32 AM
Thumbs up oil opinion subject.

I am 56 and have always changed all my own oil. i have never went over 3000 miles and normally at 2500 miles and always change filter,usually a fram, at same time. my sons and daughter all do the same and i am very proud of that. my daughters fiance' dad is an older mechanic and he was telling his son about this oil problem in the older engines i guess. anyway thanks a lot for the input. our cars are our secound biggest investment! have a good day