1998 Toyota Corolla

Old 03-04-04, 05:16 PM
1998 Toyota Corolla

Hi There. I need some info. I have the oppurtunity to buy a 1998 corolla for less than blue book value, but the car has been sitting in the owner's garage for about a year, only being started about once per month and left to idle for about 20 minutes or so each time.

The car has about 104000 miles on it and it has been regularly serviced, with oil changes averaging every 5,000 miles.

The owner says that the car is usually down about a 1/2 quart by the time the oil change comes around.

I was also told that there's a bit of smoke on startup but that it clears quickly.

Smoke is white to gray in color.

I know what this means for a car that is used regularly, but I don't know what it means for a car that sits for so long without running.(30 to 45 days between starts)

Finally, What maintenance should be done to this car after it's been sitting for so long and what sort of problems might result from its inactivity?

Thanks for your help.

HB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-04, 06:11 PM
Looks like this vehicle seen pretty regular use for the first 100k. My only concern is the seals weren't exactly new, now with inactivity they will dry out and become brittle.

Now once you start driving it again in a short time your going to develop leaks. It already seems the valve seals are leaking (grey smoke when it starts).

Also the 5k oil change interval wasn't the greatest.

Old 03-04-04, 06:46 PM
what's involved in replacing these seals that may have become brittle?-

Old 03-04-04, 06:55 PM
It's about 8 hrs labor to replace the valve seals.

Then you have front crank, rear main seals etc.

It could become costly

Old 03-05-04, 03:04 AM
Thanks a lot for your input Larry.

I appreciate it.

HB

Old 03-05-04, 04:54 AM
my half cent

A fine dependable car the Toyota I would go for it if the price is right.First thing I would do is replace all fluids.You never know the smokeing might go away if driven.Chevy has always had valve seal problems and you just learn to live with the puff of smoke on start up.
I would buy it I think you wont be sorry Toyota makes good dependable cars.

Search this Thread