Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brakes and Rotors

Visiting Guest

03-04-04, 09:14 PM   #1  
MasterChefMT
Brakes and Rotors

I have purchased a 1992 Toyota Pick-Up truck. The only thing wrong with the truck is it needs new brakes and rotors. I am a "do-it-yourselfer" and came to this site looking for help. Finally I decided to get into the forums. Because I am a do-it-yourselfer I was wondering if anyone could help me out on replacing the brakes and rotors. Feel free to email me or instant message me. [email protected]

Sponsored Links

03-05-04, 12:42 AM   #2  
Welcome to forums

You didn't say weather its 2WD or 4WD? If 4WD does it have locking hubs?

Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 04:50 AM   #3  
MasterChefMT
The truck is 2WD. Disc in front, drum in rear.

03-13-04, 05:48 AM   #4  
It's pretty much an "old school" set up.

You need to remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper(hang the caliper with a coat hanger or similar), 2 bolts holding the caliper bracket.

The rotor has a dust cap with a cotter pin,lock plate and finally the nut holding the wheel bearing. Then you just slide the rotor off the spindle.

Turn the rotor over and remove the bolts holding the disc to the hub. Most likely the rotors will be stuck to the hub. You could place the rotor over a piece of wood 4x4 (bolt holes down). Now hit the rotor off.

CAL

03-13-04, 02:25 PM   #5  
How do you know that you need new rotors? I have a 1982 2WD Toyota pickup (115k miles) and my rotors are ok. Also, make sure you use Toyota pads and shoes; even though they are more expensive, they last much longer than replacements sold at parts stores (I am on my second set).

Search this Thread