Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Check engine Light

Visiting Guest

03-05-04, 09:45 PM   #1  
nelson knowles
Check engine Light

My 1996 5.7L V8 chevy 1500 P/U check engine lwas is on. Had it scan they say it was o2 sensor. I put in brand new sensors the light come back on with in 2 hours or 10 mile drive. Get it scan again . The scan say o2 is reading lean what must I do to stop it.

Sponsored Links

03-06-04, 03:46 AM   #2  
First, stop changing O/2 sensors. It's only reporting the true facts, you have lean exhaust. You need to look at things like a severe vacuum leak, low fuel pressure etc. look very closely at things like the PCV feed hose and other vacuum feeds.

03-06-04, 08:20 AM   #3  
check engine light

nelson,

Desi's right. The MOST COMMON rookie mistake is automatically replacing the part associated with the code.

The code is telling you what CIRCUIT is affected. Then you've got to figure out the underlying cause. Yes, it could be the part, the wiring (short or bad ground), fuel supply, vacuum leaks or a myriad of other problems.

You need to look a little deeper into the cause before you can get the PROPER fix.

Matt

Search this Thread