Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wiring back up alarm to on/off switch

Visiting Guest

03-06-04, 07:29 PM   #1  
rollingstone

I'm installing a commercial back up alarm on my Toyoto Tacoma Prerunner pickup. The alarm is the kind that connects to a back up light and sounds when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. But, I want the option to turn it off or on from a below-the-dash LED rocker switch.

Specs on the alarm:
voltage (nominal) 12-24 VDC
voltage (extreme) 10.5-32.0 VDC
current (nominal) 0.4 A
power (nominal) 9 W

The switch has ground, - and + terminals. Can someone give me directions for wiring the alarm to the switch? I assume I do not have to run a wire from the battery, as the alarm is powered from the back up light, correct? I assume a relay would not be required??

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

03-06-04, 07:52 PM   #2  
Should be the Red W/Black stripe wire behind the Tail light. You need to tap that wire and run a wire up to your switch.

Then another wire from the (-) on the switch to the (+) on the Alarm.

In all you will run two wires from the switch back to the tail light and Alarm (assuming the Alarm will be mounted behind the Tail light)

The ground on the switch would go to a good ground

The ground on the alarm should go to one of the White W/Black stripe wires behind the tail lamp. (Not to the body of the bed because it isn't a good ground)

Are you sure the rocker sw has (+), (-), and ground?

There usually Power (+), Light and ground

Visiting Guest

03-07-04, 02:31 PM   #3  
rollingstone

Larry, thanks for your reply. I don't know where I got the (-), (+) and ground--just confusing other switches I looked at and ignorance, I guess.

My switch has earth, load and supply. Earth is easy enough, but I'm not familiar with load and supply, though load sounds like (+) to me.

Would you be so kind as to restate your directions using these terms? As I understand it now:

wire from tail light red/black to switch (+)
wire from switch (-) to alarm (+)
wire from alarm ground to a tail light white/black wire

What about the alarm's (-) terminal?

I figured out a route from the alarm (will be mounted underneath the truck, behind the bumper) into the cab and up behind the dash. Must the switches good ground be to the engine block, through the firewall, or is there a simpler option?

I imagine there is a small wire loom suitable for protecting the wires. What is the most appropriate size I should look for, and is it available from home improvement stores like Home Depot or only from electrical suppliers?

I appreciate your assistance.

03-07-04, 03:09 PM   #4  
No, load is the device you are trying to control...the Alarm (+)

The Alarm (-) goes to one of the White W/Black stripe wires behind the tail lite.

HD and Radio Shack has ribbed conveluted tubing to put the wires in.

Should be the Red W/Black stripe wire behind the Tail light. You need to tap that wire and run a wire up to your switch POWER terminal.

Then another wire from the LOAD terminal on the switch to the (+) on the Alarm.

In all you will run two wires from the switch back to the tail light and Alarm (assuming the Alarm will be mounted behind the Tail light) or under the back.

The EARTH on the switch would go to a good ground under the dash.

The ground on the alarm should go to one of the White W/Black stripe wires behind the tail lamp. (Not to the body of the bed because it isn't a good ground)

Visiting Guest

03-07-04, 05:18 PM   #5  
rollingstone
wiring back up alarm with switch

Got it, Larry. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

03-09-04, 05:55 PM   #6  
rollingstone
wiring back up alarm with switch

Larry, I just wanted to let you know that I got the back up alarm/switch installed this afternoon. Everything went well and works fine. Thanks for your help.

03-09-04, 06:34 PM   #7  
Good Job!

Search this Thread