what kind of tool is this?


Old 03-07-04, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
what kind of tool is this?

can any one tell me what kind of tool this is and where I might get one?
My husband describes it as a screwdriver with a "claw" on the tip that opens and holds your screw until you get it screwed in. I have looked everywhere and can't find it.
He used to use one when he worked at Lockheed.
Thanks! Laura
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 06:04 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 248
screw starter

Called a screw starter. Mechanically holds the screw in place 'til you get it started.

Do a google search using screw starter and you'll get a bunch.


Old 03-07-04, 07:39 PM
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Posts: 121
Got one at Sears about 20 years ago (Craftsman), still works fine.
Old 03-07-04, 07:50 PM
Dave_D1945's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,178
Go to Sears. I had one of those once upon a time that came with a tool set I bought. Now, if I could just remember who borrowed it.....
Old 03-07-04, 09:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks a heap!!! You all were very quick also!!
Thanks for taking the time to help me find my hubby's birthday request. Now if only he can keep up with it once he gets it!
Old 03-08-04, 06:29 AM
slumlordfrank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Where time and space begin
Posts: 702
The best ones I've ever seen are from "Witte", in the USA they come from Anglo American Enterprises in (?Somerdale?) New Jersey. IIRC all Graybar Electric distributing and Grainger have access to them. They are a bit different in that the have a positive locking sleeve that wraps around the entire head of the screw.
Old 03-12-04, 05:55 PM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 923
I had one once a long time ago and for some reason I didn't like it. One trick is to tape the screw to the screwdriver blade with masking tape. This should hold it until the screw is started.
Old 03-13-04, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
i have bought a good pair from snap on
Old 03-13-04, 04:34 PM
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa
Posts: 2,417
I have one haven't used it since the last time I put in a set of points and condensor.I prefer a magnetic screwdriver with interchangable bits if needed.
Old 03-14-04, 09:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
holding that screw

if mag. is not an option then you may use a little plumbers putty on the tip of the screw driver. works well in some situations

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes